Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old puppy has always been a nightmare at sleeping through the night.

He sleeps in his crate and he goes to sleep at about 10.30-11.00pm.

When we first got him and he was a young pup whenever he barked we got up because he'd need the toilet (which I know now was probably not the best thing to do).

He has stopped continuously waking us up but he will still wake up at about half four every morning. We let him out and he'll have a wee, but I think he could hold it for longer. Then he doesn't want to go back in his crate, he'll bark and bark until we eventually get up, normally 6.30 although I'd prefer it to be later but I can't sleep through the barking.

Even if we ignore the 4.30 bark, he'll continue to bark until whenever we get up and it's causing a lot of arguments in my house.

I'm surviving on about 5 hours sleep a night and it's taking it's toll.

I'm at a loss on what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi there, my Alfie got very vocal at night when he was about that age.

He was crated and it was downstairs. In the end, we moved the crate upstairs and a month or so later decrated him. Though we have an older dog too, so they slept next to our room.

Is he far from you at night? I think Alfie wanted to be with us.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I went through something similar with Cooper. We started by taking him upstairs with us. He now has a bed in our room (what happened to the 'no dogs upstairs policy, eh?) and sleeps through from 10pm to 6am. Sometimes I hear him stir or walk around and I just say 'go lie down' or 'to your bed' and he goes back to sleep.

Also I started soaking his dinner (so the kibble is floating in water) which he gets at 6:30pm, and then leaving him just a tiny bit if water for the evening. He does his last business just before going upstairs and holds til morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He does sleep downstairs and he's generally not allowed upstairs as we have an older cat who doesn't like him and his bouncy self. Our cat sleeps upstairs at night.

We tried him upstairs without his crate a couple of times and he chose to go back downstairs, we couldn't get him to stay up there, and even when we shut the bedroom door and he whined to get out.

Also, it is probably worth mentioning he does have separation anxiety, that could be a contributing factor into why he's barking, but apart from that I really see no need for him to bark.

Will he maybe grow out of it?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Maybe try other way round. Try to sleep in his room if that's possible & check his reaction, then it might be easier to advice anything.
Before we let Shelby sleep in our bedroom she tried to bark in the night but as soon as we moved her (no crate, just nice comfy bed next to our bed) she stopped.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts...
1) it gets cold at that time in the morning... I often get woken by mine at that time because Luna is snuggled right in close for warmth and pushing along side me and Tucker is stood gently whining asking me to lift the duvet up so he can get warm underneath! Spoilt dogs but its cold in my house at that time of night/day so we all huddle up together! Could you try snuggling him under a blanket or move bed somewhere warmer?

2) he suffers separation anxiety but doesn't want to be with you given the option at night?? Seems a bit strange!? What do you mean he has separation anxiety?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's cold, there is a radiator near him and out heating comes on quite early.

Because he's never been allowed upstairs, he gets super excited whenever he's allowed upstairs and it's like a treat to him, he can never settle up there and he just comes down. All though, he does bark at the bottom of the stairs as if to say 'come down here now'.

It has taken a lot of perseverance to get him to sleep downstairs without us because to start with he would always cry. So I can't complain too much compared to what it used to be like.

He has separation anxiety in the fact that we cannot leave him at any time apart from at night (don't know why he's ok with that and not anything else). He barks and barks and whines and scratches at the door, he'll destroy things etc. I can't even pop upstairs without him barking so loudly. He follows us everywhere, he'll be asleep on the sofa and if we get up, he has to get up, no matter how tired he is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts