Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear is 6 months old but still each morning we find a brown present. His food is weighed each day and is split over 3 meals although we are starting to phase out ”lunch”. His last walk will be at 1930 and last meal at 1945, we let him out at 2300 for last toilet before bed and he is normally up around 0530. His stools are normal and firm and he goes each time on walks and also in the garden. He is not kept in a crate but is not allowed upstairs. We still have a mat down for “accidents” so he does his business on there, he never cries or barks to go out.
My question is how do we stop him going in the house every night?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Just about to start work, but if his last walk is at 19:45, that's only 15 minutes after his last walk. I leave an hour between walking and feeding to avoid the possibility of bloat, which can happen in medium to large breeds. I would suggest his last meal is also a bit too late on, mine get their last meal at about 5pm, as pups, they got a treat before bedtime once their later meal had been phased out. If you give him his food at 5pm, he's had more than enough time between his meal and his later walk, and you never know, it may just pop out before bed time instead of over night.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I think it’s swings and roundabouts. I always feed my puppies and adult dogs their last meal at about 10:30pm. They’ve tended to sleep better and for longer on a full tummy. My latest was the exception because she had persistent UTIs as she had a juvenile vulva.

Reactions: JohnW

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
I always feed my puppies and adult dogs their last meal at about 10:30pm. They’ve tended to sleep better and for longer on a full tummy.
Thats probably a good alternative. Feed early so the food has time to pass through, of feed late so it will not "Re appear" before morning. At 7-30pm you are in a no man's land. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts