Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 16 week pup, he has been crated at night from 8 weeks. All was good until about 2 weeks ago. He had been going to bed at 1130 all well until we got up at 6am dry and clean. Suddenly around the same time we dropped from 4 meals to 3. He has stared pooing in his crate at night. we have a baby monitor but he does not make a noise to go out. we have set an alarm but so far have not managed to get to him before he poos. Last night we went to bed at 12 set it for an 1am but he had already pooed. He does seem very loose but not poorly. Our schedule is.
Feed 730, 12 and 5pm. He poos first thingthen nothing until 4pm and then northing until the evening sometimes quite late. How can we reset his schedule he was doing so well before this. Not had this problem with our other labs. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I'd be tempted to put his last meal back a bit, pups struggle to hold it in but as he grows he will learn to control his motions more and more, and at that point you can bring his evening meal forward a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John, Thank you for replying. Yes I think we will try this and hope it resolves itself in a few weeks. :)

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Joanne, not me. 😁 But yes, I agree with Joanne. We tend to think feeding earlier so the food has more time to pass through, but in fact food takes longer than you might think to be processes. So feeding later actually makes it easier for the pup to last through the night. :)

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
I don’t feed last meal until about 10pm. All mine have gone through the night pretty much on the pooh front apart from my latest who had constant UTI thanks to a juvenile vulva.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts