Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce is nearly 8momths and his night time bed chewing is getting worse . He has gone through all the nice beds I've bought him so is now back in a plastic bed with old covers but even these get shredded on a nightly basis . Is there anything I can do to try and stop this . He doesn't chew anything during the day just on a night . He is no longer in a crate but in a small hallway on a nighttime and he is in there from about 11 till 6 . I do put various toys in there with him . Is he not getting enough mental stimulation or excersise or is it just a stage he will grow out of ??

Claire x

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If he's anything like George (who is four), got some news for you...

We can't have dog beds with George (nor blankets) as they get unceremoniously humped and chewed to bits -- and then Alfie hoovers up the bits.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Unfortunately my two still chew their beds - well actually, they play tug of war with them :roll: Oh, and they are nearly 3 and 4 years old.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nooo lo . Santa was going to bring a tuffies nest but I think he will have to have a re think

Claire x

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
halle07 said:
Nooo lo . Santa was going to bring a tuffies nest but I think he will have to have a re think

Claire x
If it was me, I would definitely NOT bother :lol: I thought my two had been really good for a while, so spent over £100 on new beds and then found this yesterday :roll:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruces favourite place was also the sofa . There was no problems when he was sleeping in the living room apart from a couple of little nibbles on his blanket . He was finding the christmas tree too hard to resist sp we moved him into the hall and thats when the chewing escalated but now I dont dare let him sleep back in the living room in case the chewing continues . The little s*d has shot himself in the foot

Claire x

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Beds also get chewed in my house. I have two that are still OK, one tuffie and another that I had to sew back together. If they get chewed, I will buy Orvis' chew proof bed. It is SUPER expensive (£250), but they say money back guaranteed - no questions asked if your dog chews through it... And I'd like to put that to the test! :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My husband was looking at the orvis beds too but I'm afraid I'm rotten mammy and much too hard hearted to pay that much for bed . He will have his plastic bed and like it loll

Claire x

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
halle07 said:
Bruces favourite place was also the sofa . There was no problems when he was sleeping in the living room apart from a couple of little nibbles on his blanket . He was finding the christmas tree too hard to resist sp we moved him into the hall and thats when the chewing escalated but now I dont dare let him sleep back in the living room in case the chewing continues . The little s*d has shot himself in the foot

Claire x
Dogs are creatures of habit, maybe he found the 'move' a bit stressful. Something has obviously changed for him, if he was barely chewing when he was in the living room.

When you say you leave him with toys, do you mean things to play with, or do you mean safe things for him to chew, which will help relax him and encourage him to chew on appropriate matter, such as Galileo bones, tough nylabones, the synthetic marrow bones, stag bars etc. (I know some people don't like to use the stag bars, so that's a bit of a personal choice really)?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's left with a selection of chew things things like nylabones and kong toys . I am going to have to have a look around for dome alternatives though as none of these are particular favourites of his . I do think the change of sleeping area has made it worse but I'm hoping he gets used to it quite quickly . If not i will take him back to the living room and buy him a new cage to go in .

Claire x

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I had foiled Bruce last night . Put him in the hallway with plastic bed with vet bed inside and left a selection of chew toys for him . Came downstairs this morning and vet bed is still intact but door frames and skirting boards all chewed :? . Trip to PAH today to buy a bigger cage on the cards for today so he can go back in the living room

Claire x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts