Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We have a five month puppy who took to night crating with no issue. Since 10 weeks old, he sleeps from 10pm when we go to bed to 6am when we get up. We're currently experiencing really warm weather and last night he barked a few mins after he went to bed. His night crate is in the dining room but we've been able to keep it relatively cool in there. He was panting a little so we decided to leave the crate open overnight for the first time so he could also access the kitchen which has a cool tiled floor. Having checked the video footage this morning, he went back into his crate ten mins after we left him and stayed in there for the night. For background info, he had a stomach bug last month so he needed to go out in the night as he had diarrhea (he'd bark to let us know) so we'd let him out, he'd do his business, come back in and settle straight away in the crate again. So my question is could he be realising a bark from him prompts a check from us? We have a week of warm weather ahead of us so we're not sure what to do with regards to allowing him out of the crate again overnight. Our long term intention is to keep him night crated until we decide otherwise. We're first time dog owners and don't want to undo the hard work and progress we've made so far. I should also add he's been going through a fear phase these past couple of weeks (now scared of cats he sees on walks, before they were fair game! He heard some chickens the other day and wanted to bolt). He's a gorgeous pup and people always comment on how calm he is for his age. Just realised how long my post is but any advice / guidance would be welcome from those more experienced than us! Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
If he's used to barking for you to go to the loo then I'd be letting him out anyway. It may be the heat that's making him uncomfortable enough to bark at least initially, but if he settled right back down instead of barking again then I'd be less likely to think he's barking for attention, more just a general complaint about the unusual level of warmth we're having. I know my lot were on the bed with me last night, despite the heat, so I had three warm Labrador bods there all night! The other two find it far too undignified, the foxhound has her own patent parker knoll, as does the flat coat, both in different rooms.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a little fan on a slow speed on the cages and I adjust the bedding so that they have a spot that's on the bare plastic which is nice and cool.

No complaints from them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It was the heat which was bothering him. He barked again the following night after being put in his crate so again we left the crate door open, giving him access to the tiled kitchen floor and a cooling mat. He's been uncrated every night since and not a peep out of him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts