Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My first post so please go easy on me.

I have a question relating to food for our one year old boy, bo who’s a gorgeous fox red lab (working strain)... he has been on pro plan sensitive digest puppy dry dog food since we had him at 10 weeks and he’s currently having x3 feeds of 150grams per day. He looks really fit and healthy and has x2 2mile walks per day (circa 4 miles per day)
We obviously need to wean him off his current puppy type food ASAP and was wondering if anyone on here could recommend a good dried food that’s sensibly priced.
Also I’m thinking we need to reduce from 3 meals per day down to two. Would it be sensible to feed him x2 150grams per day as opposed to x3 150 grams?

thank you in advance.

regards,
Steve.

·
Administrator
20,605 Posts
It's normal to reduce from 3 meals to two at 6 months, but there is no reason to have to change at that point. In the days when I had a diabetic dog I fed her 3 meals a day to attempt to even out her sugar intake. With my dogs I feed two main meals per day, plus a Bonio at lunch time.

As to foods, the simple answer is to simply swap to the adult version of what you are feeding now.

Food is always a contentious subject, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers! But one thing I will say, if you feed one of the working dog foods such as Skinners Field and Trial, Masters Meaty Crunch or Chudleys working dog range then these, because they are aimed at working dogs are vat free, so effectively you are paying 20% less than the same priced normal dog food. I've used Masters for going on 30 years, although I have to say, I do get it at a special rate! ;) An added attraction is that all three of these manufacturers sponsor various working gundog events, so some of the money you pay is being funnelled back into dog events.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
It's up to you if you want to change from 3 to 2 meals, and you will get as many answers as to what to feed as there are different foods, as everyone will recommend what works for their dog(s). I raw feed, which isn't for everyone, but have no qualms about throwing in a bit of commercial food if I haven't defrosted something enough, or just want something quick and clean to give them, any raw meat has to be handled carefully and cleaned up afterwards, although you can get things like salmonella in kibble as well obviously the risks are higher when handling raw meat all of the time.

If you do change down from 3 meals to 2, then you need to increase the meal sizes to allow for this, so if you're feeding 450g per day, then you need to be feeding this amount in 2 meals, not just giving the 2 meals of the same weight, otherwise he'll be missing out on a third of his daily intake. I do give a larger amount in the morning than the evening, just because they are burning energy through the day, and obviously sleeping at night.

You say you've got him up to 4 miles per day, to be honest, I've got an 11 month old here, and, although she probably does a couple of miles bouncing off the walls, I don't really start stretching them until they are over 12 months of age, as they are still developing. She has free play all day at home and on short walks, but I don't go far with her.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've stuck to 3 meals a day for my dogs for several years now. Started way back when I had a skinny Pointer who needed the 3 meals to keep his weight on, and of course, having multiple dogs, what 1 got they all got. Since then we've never got out of the habit even though the Pointer is long gone.:)

As to food, I won't advise, what suits one, won't suit another. Pro plan is as good as any and have a large range of adult foods to choose from. I use it now and then along with Eukanuba and Royal Canin, depending which is on special offer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Steve,
Yes John is correct everyone has their own idea about food and how many meals a day. Poppy will be 2 years old July 17th. She like many is a Fox Red English. We feed her Pro Plan Pro for Lab's adult. We feed her twice a day. She is spayed so we didn't increase the amount that she was getting when she was eating three times a day. Well we didn't decrease it alot we just watch her weight more now as it's easier to watch their weight before they get over weight. She is a high energy Lab but tires easy with chasing her ball. She does love to do laps around our yard. Pro Pan is a good food and that is why we switched it when from Royal Canin Lab when COVID ! and it made it hard to get her food. I did alot of research on what to put her on. I live in the US and COVID is very bad in some states but thankfully but not as bad as Florida in Wisconsin. Good luck with you decision.
Stay Safe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Diet and dog foods are crucial to the growth and health of the dog throughout adulthood. However, not everyone is aware of the right diet and type of pet food, helping them grow best.
(Link removed, Advertising not allowed) will help you understand the right food for your dog as well as suggest some of the best quality food available today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts