Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm Tracey and have a cute little chocolate lab called Charlie who is now about 15 weeks old!
He chews and eats ANYTHING he can get his jaw round and eats his poo if it doesn't get picked up within a millisecond of doing it!
Still, he is gorgeous!
I am interested in possibly showing him but haven't a clue where to start or what to look for in his conformation, etc.
Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
Tracey x

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi first of all welcome to the labforums

chewing and eating anything thats a lab for you..LOL..

i ahve 2 labs brandy and rosze and rosze is a horror for chewing things..lol.

as for showing him i cant advise you on that but there are plenty of ppl on here that are involved in showing and will gladly advise you :p

look forward to seeing some pics of charlie :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hiya

I am new here myself, i have a yellow lab called Jester he's 10 weeks on Sun.

He chews everything in sight, had to rescue Ken and Barbie this morning 8O

I dont know anything bout showing, something i might consider myself so if you do find out let me know??

Lyndsay xxx

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you will find it very helpful here and there are many people who will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Unfortunately, showing isn't something I'm looking into but there are many members who show that should be able to offer you some advice.

Our choc pup Corbie was 6 months old last week - everything goes in his mouth too, even though he's finished teething... socks, plants, bark, sticks you name it :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
welcome

hi tracey

welcome to the site, i too am a newbie here, i have a choc lab called holly who is five months old, she chews most things and regards everything in the house as fair game, including the toilet! which is now firmly closed!!!!

i have to tell you that things only get better...as i found out last week when holly decided that every puddle and water was her own and pulled me in quite a few times!!! she now has her own paddling pool which she loves!

as for showing i cannot help you but am sure someone will,

take care and welcome to the life with a lab

tracey and holly

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Tracey
Welcome to the forum.
Did his breeder show? if so, it would be good to get some advice from them.
I assume he's KC registered. You won't be able to show him until he's six months old, but I'd join a ringcraft class to start with. They will be able to give you advice there too. You can start with companion shows, and it's worth going to shows before then as a spectator. Good luck and have fun
regards
Jenny

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Tracey

Welcome to the Forum. As everyone as said, this is normal behaviour from our lovely labs! One look at that face though, and you kind of forgive them anything!

It's amazing how much they grow up though and then grow out of certain things. Smudge used to be a nightmare when I was doing the ironing and chase the cord around and so I had to only do it when he wasn't around. Now he's not bothered by the cord at all and sits at my feet whie I iron. He is also growing out of his play-biting which is a relief!

No matter what they get up to though, they will steal your heart and you realise it's all worth it!

Hope you enjoy the site and I'm sure you'll gather lots of good tips and advice.

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello tracey.

Welcome to the forums :)
Sounds like you have a normal lab puppy to me , they do grow out of it.

I do dog showing and will be happy to help where and when I can :)
Where did you buy the puppy from, was it from someone who show dogs herself. Do you have K.C registration papers. If you do I would advise you to contact the Kennel Club for details of where your nearest . ring-craft classes are . You cannot think about showing until the puppy is 6 months old. Even then I would suggest if you can starting with a companion dog show, this will give you and the puppy some experience.

The dog shows come in 4 groups ... Companion show.... this one has a lot of variety classes....a.v ( any variety) these can be for breeds, then there are the fun classes, dog or bitch with the prettiest of faces for example to the waggiest tail. these shows you can get rossettes for 1st- 6th place, Limited shows are slightly bigger, you can get specific dog breed classes, still get awards of rossettes but you can not enter a dog who has won any C.c. Open shows are next where the stakes are slightly higher. Then there are the Championship Shows, where C>C are on offer.
The entry fees for these shows can range from 1.50- upwards dependent onthe type of show.
The kennel club you will find at www. the kennel club. org. you might find it useful as well to make enquiries and info, on the breed standard.

Bye the way I have been showing for 4 years and been awarded rossettes for 1st - 4th places, also won best gundog puppy recently. :lol:

Hope you find this info of some help, and good luck.. :)

Colette

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! Thank you everyone for your lovely welcome and great advice! I am still waiting for his papaers - not too impressed with the service from my breeder but thats a long story!

Never mind! I will look out for companion shows and get some tips there before I think about whether it is for us. The main thing is that he is happy and healthy - he will always be a winner with me!

I will post some pics soon!

Thank you guys once again!

Tracey and Charlie! xxx (slurp slurp slup!)

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi tracey and welcome :)
sounds like charlie has started his wonderfull journey into labbyhood :lol:
its total destruction before total devotion :roll:
i swear by the 3ps. patience, persiverence and most of all praise!
have fun :lol:

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
Hi Tracey.
I see people have given you advice about showing. Joining a "Ringcraft" club is the very best advice. They will be able to show you what's require. You have plenty of time so I would recomend going to a few shows to see what happens. Get your dog use to standing on a loose lead whilst you move around him. Also moving nicely on the lead. Get to know the Breed Standard. this is the criteria for judging a dog.

Keep us informed of progress, and any problems you get.

Regards, John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts