Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.
I'm sure you've seen this question a thousand times but were new and only just working our way through the forum.
We are the proud owners of a 8 week old thug called Shirley (a sleep at the min and looking like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth)
Our problem is caging her. When she's worn out she goes in ok(ish). As soon as she wakes we let her out to toilet and play etc. Our problems start IF we have to put her in while we leave the room etc (boy is she a chewer) she screams and crys like a banshee.....now we know we have to leave her to cry it out (usually 15-20 mins) BUT she's still doing this every time we put her in her bed/crate. This is has been happening since we got her on Fri and there seems no letting up. We have to return to work on Monday so we need to sort this out. On Monday she will be left with our other lab Tommy who adores her from 9 am until 10.30 am until my mum collects them and takes them to her house. My neighbors WILL tolerate this behavior at first but not for too long.
HELP we need to stop the wailing in the next few days.
She has her food in the crate so she happily trots in and out all the time.

Denise and Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Can't really help with crates but do know that the howling does stop, eventually. Good luck and here's hoping that someone who knows about crates comes along soon.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I don't think 15-20 minutes is bad going and it may take a few weeks until you are down to no crying to be honest.
I had a chat with my neighbours to explain it would take a few weeks and was surprised to find they couldn't hear her at all.

My pup Nellie cried for over an hour the first few days in her crate - so much so when i walked the older dog i was waiting outside my own house for her to quieten so I could come back in.

The only thing i can suggest is make sure she's tired and ready for her crate and leaver he with a kong toy or something to keep her occupied.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello and welcome!

We are only new puppy owners and new crate users and new puppy everything so not yet up to advice but wanted to say hello!

Sunny is now 11 weeks and pretty good in crate but we always distract her with Kong filled with something tasty like cheese spread or peanut butter and this works really well. We didnt do this at first and she also cried a lot but the yummy kong distraction thing has really helped us.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Luna was very good and was never a howler, just a whinger!!

I still go by the same routine when I leave her alone for a few hours. If she's tired and normally sleeps at that time of day I sit calmly while she settles to sleep then give her kiss and a goodbye knowing she will quickly fall asleep after I have left. If she is usually awake then I will tire her out with a play/training session, then give her a kong or equivalent and leave her whilst she is engrossed and distracted with that. When I get back she's usually eaten all and then fallen asleep.

I find the key to leaving is to have everything prepared in advance eg: bags already in car, coat and keys by the door etc etc long before doing the final visit to the garden for a wee! Then my leaving is calm and quick.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts