Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We have had a chocolate lab for nearly three weeks now - he is 11 weeks old and I am looking forward to being able to take him for his first walk this weekend.

A couple of issues

1. He has really bad runny poop for three days, so yesterday he went to the vet and had some pills. He now has not pooped at all since yesterday lunch time! Any suggestions - he does just does not seem interested..

2. Biting. He seems to bite a lot - not so bad with me - more with my wife. Also he seems to have a "mad" half hour or so every evening when he will not do anything he told, and run around trying to bite us. Last night he ended up in his puppy pen for 30 minutes.

Any suggestions or help appreciated!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Scott

Firstly, welcome! - you will get lots of advice and laughs from the forum..

I am a first time dog owner, and I promise that it gets easier and you will have lots of fun, love and great times with your new pup..

I would highly recommend reading the "sticky" posts that appear at the top of the puppy section. Both of the symptons you describe are very common, and indeed - he will most certainly have mad "bumtuck" moments when he is haring around! As he becomes more used to you, this time can be used to have playtime training - he is just letting off steam and I am guessing that he probably flops straight asleep afterwards within 30 seconds???

I'm kinda surprised that the vet gave medication for the runny poos - alhtough somebody more experienced may comment here....as he grows up and his tum gets used to "proper" food - you will get some sloppy stools from time to time...Beetle still gets them after a journey in the car for example...

The puppy pen is a great place for time out - but we made sure with Beetle never to punish him at same time as putting him in - to make sure that he associated it with a nice place...

There is no getting away from it - these first few weeks are most definitely the hardest - then they come back at the 9 month stage!(where we are now) and you can have defiant little bu***er moments!

I wouldn't change him for anything though - A dog brings so many happy, loving and proud moments

Good luck - and PICTURES!!!

Gerry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi, I wanted to reply to your post, not because I have any answers for you :roll: but because your situation is so similar to ours. We too have an 11 week old chocolate lab and have had her for three weeks. We are also looking forward to taking her out for the first time on Saturday!
Molly also play bites a lot - more me than my husband. We are doing everything that has been recommended in other posts but she still does it although I think it may be getting better. Or maybe not :cry: She also has mad moments - sometimes in the morning too! We love her to bits and mostly she is a joy but I admit to being unprepared for this level of biting. We can only trust that it will get better with time...

Yvonne.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The biting is normal and will get better, there is a post on here about teaching your pup bite inhibition. We are at 16 weeks now with our pup and the only biting now is when he gets very over excited.

The mad half hour(bum tucking and general hoolying around) is there way of letting off the last steam of the day, my pup is always between 8.30 and 9pm and after it he goes off to his crate and thats him til morning.
The runny poop, i would've not fed pup for 24 hrs and then introduced a little chicken rice and see if that helps.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Hello, the mad half hour is totally normal. Minnie-Moo had one each night when she was younger. The biting is also normal, we seem to have got off very lightly with Mins compared to many, but there are tons of posts on here with people experiencing the same as you.

On the pooh front, I'm not a vet but I know when my dogs have had very upset tummies, that they do then do less pooh, less frequently than normal as they are getting better. I guess things come through in a rush while they're ill and it takes a while for their body to get back to normal. Is he eating and drinking ok? Sounds as though he is lively enough? Hope he's feeling all better soon :flower:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
_Donna_ said:
The runny poop, i would've not fed pup for 24 hrs and then introduced a little chicken rice and see if that helps.
I don't think it's generally recommended to starve such a young pup for so long :flower:

I don't even tend to starve my adult dogs that long tbh, but when Mins had a bad tummy as a pup I gave her scrambled egg in small amounts and then tried her on a bit of her usual Naturediet. Making sure she didn't get dehydrated too of course as that is a worry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi my 10 week old pup had runny poo a couple of weeks ago. The vet gave us panacur paste to make sure his worming was up to date and another paste to calm his somach (Diarsyl) we coupled this with some tins of Royal Canin sensitivity control chicken and rice food. He was right as rain in a couple of days.

We probably went a bit over the top but were nervous new owners and at least we had the desired result.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Our pup had a funny tummy on and off on Beta puppy from 8 weeks til we changed to Wainwrights at about 14 weeks.....seems ok so far!!!! All are different tho - her sister is fine on Beta.

Mad moments - completely normal!!!

Biting - erm...........keep being told will get better. We've found puppy trg classes have helped - dog trainers seem to have a "way" with the pups!!!! We're teething at the mo too so probably isn't helping!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts