Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have two labs , Bruce and Lucy who are now 10 months old. Bruce is approx 14 kg and Lucy around 12kg. We feed Bruce on 3.5 cups per day and Lucy on 3 per day.
When buying the pups we did not do out research and it turns out they are from a puppy farm, we are convinced Lucy is a cross.
They had some early stomach issues but over the past few months it seems to have leveled out.
We have always to instruction from our vet and also read the packaging regarding feeding. However they have always pooed a lot, and I mean a lot.
We feed Bruce on 3.5 cups per day and Lucy on 3, does this sound ok or are we clearly missing something? I recently read that 27kg lab should be on 3.5 cups per day.

Thanks in advance.

B&L

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
I’m confused by cups. Surely you feed by weight of food rather than cups? Cups tends to be a measurement used in the US. How much to feed will vary hugely from brand to brand too.

Reactions: bruceandlucy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m confused by cups. Surely you feed by weight of food rather than cups? Cups tends to be a measurement used in the US. How much to feed will vary hugely from brand to brand too.
Thanks for the reply Maddie, think I've got to the bottom of it. Yes we are working on specific weights now.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
We all have our own way of measuring dog food. I work by eye and "hands full" But one thing I will say. So many dog food manufacturers wildly overegg the amount recommended on the bag! Remember, it's in their interest, the more you feed the more profit in it for them! As I always say, "Feed to the dog, not the bag!"

But the actual amount you feed is not something easily advised. The live wire is going to need more than the couch potato. Then some dogs are better at metabolising the food, they get more goodness out of the same amount than another who is passing food out partly undigested. You develop a feel for the right amount. Dont fixate on amounts, I bet you dont weigh your own food. If you think your pup is starting to look a bit tubby, cut the amount slightly, but if they are starting to look a little lean then up it a bit. Thats my philosophy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We all have our own way of measuring dog food. I work by eye and "hands full" But one thing I will say. So many dog food manufacturers wildly overegg the amount recommended on the bag! Remember, it's in their interest, the more you feed the more profit in it for them! As I always say, "Feed to the dog, not the bag!"

But the actual amount you feed is not something easily advised. The live wire is going to need more than the couch potato. Then some dogs are better at metabolising the food, they get more goodness out of the same amount than another who is passing food out partly undigested. You develop a feel for the right amount. Dont fixate on amounts, I bet you dont weigh your own food. If you think your pup is starting to look a bit tubby, cut the amount slightly, but if they are starting to look a little lean then up it a bit. Thats my philosophy.
Thanks John, much appreciated (y)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If you are using the same feeding cups we are then I’m sorry to say that is way too much!!!
We have Judy (12 years 11 months and 32 Kg) who gets 2/3rds of a cup in morning and same in evening
Little Cooper (4.5 years and 28kg) has 4/5ths a cup morning and evening
Both have supplements and healthy treats throughout the day plus as much water as they want. I’d say both have two poo’s on morning walk and occasionally one in the evening

it all depends on what type of kibble you’re giving of course but as noted above, ignore recommendations and feed what is needed and pay close attention to their body shape to ensure no over / under feed

Good luck and huge respect for coming on here and asking - sign of a considerate owner.

PS doesn’t matter where they come from, pure or slight mix…. They’re you’re family now!!!

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
What food are they on? Depending on the nutritional value of the food you could be feeding too much or too little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts