Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just wanted to say hi to you all new, members here for the first time today!
We have our first Lab (1st dog actually!)
He is called Charlie and is now nearly 5 months old (born 2nd April) we've had him since he was 8 weeks old, cant believe how quickly he has grown!
He is so easy going and everybody that he meets falls in love with him.
Mind you he will stop and look at anybody that pays him know attention!

He has just discovered the beach and swims for England!!!!

Three questions though:
He keeps getting conjunctivitis is this common?
He loves the local 'puppy park' but i keep reading that too much running around is not good for them at this age?
Stairs.... He has managed to get over every barricade put in his way so we have now decided that it is safer to let him use them but we keep reading the horror stories??

Any way thats enough for now.

Dale & Bev.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Hello
Welcome to LF :D
Im not too good with puppy info, sorry.
Has he been to the vet over his conjunctivitis?
You might be best posting something in the puppy section about and problems you may be having. :wink:
I hope this helps you

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Three questions though:

He keeps getting conjunctivitis is this common?
This could be to do with sea water if he swims a lot or it may be something else, you best bet is to take him to the vet and see what they say.

He loves the local 'puppy park' but i keep reading that too much running around is not good for them at this age?
Thats correct, at the growing stage you should be careful with their joints, at his age he should be having about 25 mins walk per day, we call it the 5 minute rule, thats 5 minutes per month in age til they are around a year old.
The occassional extra is ok as long as its not all the time and he gets to rest afterwards.

Stairs.... He has managed to get over every barricade put in his way so we have now decided that it is safer to let him use them but we keep reading the horror stories??
Again this is to do with joints, don`t let him hare up and down them all the time, its best to hold onto his collar going up and again on the way down, but as I say, don`t let him do this more than is necassary (if he sleeps up there), have you a tried a child safety gate, at 5 months I don`t think he should be able to clear that.

Welcome to LF btw :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts