Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m Dave - my lab is a 16 Month old Black Bitch - Lola. She’s amazing with my children and she is so laid back. We rehomed her at around 4months where the farmer who bred her (also had her mum and dad) had became seriously ill and was unable to keep farming. Lola had her tail docked prior to coming to us which some farmers do still apparently!?

Here she is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Welcome.

You raise several points. It has been illegal for breeders to dock dogs in the UK for quite a few years! A vet can dock a genuine working dog, accompanied by a letter from a shoot captain or gamekeeper, but not for any other reason. (There are minor differences to the law in the three home countries, and Scotland, who's docking laws were the tightest have recently changed, bringing them nearer to the English law.) But docking must be completed by a very early age, before the nervous system is completely developed. After that point a tail can still be amputated by a vet if injuries to the tail make it necessary. Docking of working spaniels and some HPR's was traditional in the days before the law came in.

But Labradors are never docked. The work they do, and the way they work makes in normally unnecessary. But occasionally a Labrador can injure it's tail. My Anna spiked her tail retrieving a Pheasant out of a blackthorn thicket, and from that day used to split it open so often. I used to bandage it using micropore before taking her out to work, but the bandage never stayed on all day. But I managed to avoid it getting bad enough to need amputating. But she was the only one of mine to have problems. I did once know a working Flatcoat who had to have it's tail amputated, but 99% of retrievers never have problems.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi and welcome to LF.
You can't beat a black Lab. I may be a little biased as I have two myself. Lola is a cracker.

Reactions: Dave.Inwood

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, John has pretty much covered everything about docking, I've never heard of a Labrador being docked at all, except where a tail injury has occurred and they've had to have a partial amputation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts