Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is mell, my husband an i have been looking in to getting a Labrador puppy for ourselves an children. We have been researching them a bit as we want to get a friendly good temperament breed. Iv heard Labs are the best choice.
I was reading a few posts from this forum, iwas reading the one about puppy's an that they bite, is this just play biting an do they grow out of it, iv heard they are not an aggressive dog. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hello :wave:

Yes lab pups do bite and nip and mouth quite a lot when they're little. Just like babies, like to explore and investigate everything with their mouths.

They do grow out of it, but they need training to help them learn that mouthing humans and chewing the table legs is unacceptable!

It's not difficult to do though. My pup had stopped mouthing by about 18 weeks old, and she was de-crated at 6 months. She has chewed up a fair few things, but nothing major and nothing that couldn't be replaced. She's 15 months now and seems to have passed both chewing stages now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In all but the most unusual cases, this will be play biting - but be warned that as puppy's their teeth are really sharp! They grow out of this stage quite quickly, particularly if you are careful not to encourage it ( to be honest it seems it is men who have the most difficulty with this as they seem to enjoy a little wrestle - Harry, our lab, continued to nip my husband for about 4 weeks after he had stopped with me, as I just flat out ignored him when he got too enthusiastic, and if he did nip, gave him a very loud and hurt oowwww!)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi Mell,

We got a lab puppy in June, and he's still biting quite a bit now - me but not my OH or son. To start off with it was quite hard with very sharp teeth, and that hurts a lot, but now it is much more gentle and as he's gettig adult teeth they aren't so sharp. How old are your children? Mine is 3, and he's found it really hard with the biting - didn't see why he should be nice to Truffle if Truffle was not nice to him 8O . They are just starting to get along nicely now though.
Look into puppy training classes in your area, go and look at some to see what they are like, and then get your name down as soon as possible so that they can help with basic obedience and behaviour at home. Truffle is 18 weeks now and we start next week, but I feel we would have benefitted by starting a few weeks ago.

Cat and Truffe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, like others have said they do nip a bit as puppies, but every puppy is different.
My first lab toby never nipped me or my little girl (who was 18months at the time) but only nipped OH. He was a TERRIBLE chewer though! We found chew deterrant worked though.
Megan, our latest addition, is comletely different! She was a terrible nipper the first week, but hasnt chewed a single thing that wasnt her own as of yet.
Labradors aim to please though, so these stages dont last very long in my opinion.
Good luck, im sure your chidren will love their new friend! x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts