Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, due to pick up my two lab girls in a couple of weeks time. I have 4 great Danes, but also love Labs. Our old boy died last year and we have waited a while before finding our girls, but we are due to move to a new house with lots more room and decided we couldn't live without a lab much longer!

Debbie :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Debbie, welcome to the forum. 8) You must be really excited about getting your new pup - remember to take pleanty of pictures as they don't stay small for very long and it will be fun to see how the Great Danes get on with a puppy in the house. Look forward to hearing your adventures :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Debbie, welcome to the forum. 8) You must be really excited about getting your new pup - remember to take pleanty of pictures as they don't stay small for very long and it will be fun to see how the Great Danes get on with a puppy in the house. Look forward to hearing your adventures :)

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forum :D

Good luck with your new pup, you are certainly going to have a full house!

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Debbie

Sounds like a whole load of fun!!!!. Good luck with your new pups, and I'm really glad not having to pick up your dog food bill!!!

Rgds

Mark

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Labs From Same Litter

Yes they are from the same litter. I'm guessing you don't think this is wise.

Debbie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Debbie....another Debbie here! I just joined yesterday aswell.

When we got our dog Kiera a guy we know got 2 bitches from the same litter....and they get on just fine and are great company for each other. So I'm sure your 2 will get on great aswell.

Hope you have lots of fun with your pups!

·
Registered
26 Posts

When we got our dog Kiera a guy we know got 2 bitches from the same litter....and they get on just fine and are great company for each other. So I'm sure your 2 will get on great aswell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pups from same litter are fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi debbie
Having two littermates is not recommended. They will be far more than double the work. You have to train, exercise them each individually as well as together and they will still bond more closely with each other than you. Much better to get one pup and when that pup is older, more mature and trained to the level you are happy with, then introduce another pup. Have a look at these links:
http://www.doglistener.co.uk/choosing/siblings.shtml
http://www.leerburg.com/2dogs.htm

In addition to this, as Cristina says, no reputable breeder would sell two littermates, so it does make me wonder about the quality of the breeder you are getting your pups from and the quality of those pups. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if a breeder does not care enough about their pups to worry about their future, what sort of care have they put into the breeding.
HTH :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
litter mates

Hi Christina,

I quite understand your feelings on this. The breeder does know us well and is of the opinion that we have enough dog knowledge to cope with the 2 girls.

We are about to move to a very large house in the country where we will have the facilities to seperate the dogs should it become nessersary as they mature. I can assure you that I will be spending lots of time with both girls and training them seperatley, as I have done with my Danes.

I do agree that it would not normally be wise to home litter mates together, however I can assure you that I am at home full time with my dogs and they are my number 1 priority (sorry to hubby).

I will keep everyone posted as to their progress.

Debbie

·
Registered
26 Posts
well the guy we know who got sisters from the same litter has absolutely no trouble with his. they got on fine and also bonded well with him. the line you posted is really all about 1 sister protecting the other, not about them not getting along. i think as long as you spend quality time with both of them and not make 1 a favourite or anything everything will be fine.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
What i was trying to point out is that they will bond more to one another than to you.Hope you can under stand my concerns. Goodluck with your pups. :D Let us know how you get on.

Cristina

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorry debbied, you're referring to one instance, the fact remains that No reputable breeder would let two littermates go to the same home at once (except in exceptional circumstances).

the line you posted is really all about 1 sister protecting the other, not about them not getting along.
but this is the problem, a dog should be bonded with it's owner first and foremost. I believe the dogs in question were bonded with their owner too, but something happened which was above the level of their tolerance threshold and they reacted. All dogs are capable of turning when their tolerence levels are reached, the added problem with littermates is that because the bond so closely with each other, that threshold is lower than others, where two dogs in the same household may adore each other but are not littermates.
Not sure if I'm explaining this well, or making sense, but I know what I mean. :shock: :D

In the same way that there's always someone who knows someone who smoked all their life and never got cancer, the fact remains that no reputable breeder would sell two littermates.
:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts