Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
pablo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I never had a dog and due to retirement I recently got a black labrador retriever who is 9 weeks old. He is booked with the Vet for his 1st vaccination as well as flea treatment and health checks as they are fully booked. May I please ask for some advice:

1- His weight is 5kg and am feeding 120g of dried food plus a sachet of wet food plus four treats, he is having diarrhoea since the day i brought him home which is 4 days.

2-He is either eating pigeon **** in our back garden/ mud/or his own poo.

3-He tends to bite after either weeing or having a poo!

4- I can`t seem to toilet train him, any tips pls?

5- He is currently sleeping with us in the bedroom and don`t seem to leave my sight at all, he even follows me to the toilet.

Kind regards
Deepak

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Dear All,

I never had a dog and due to retirement I recently got a black labrador retriever who is 9 weeks old. He is booked with the Vet for his 1st vaccination as well as flea treatment and health checks as they are fully booked. May I please ask for some advice:

1- His weight is 5kg and am feeding 120g of dried food plus a sachet of wet food plus four treats, he is having diarrhoea since the day i brought him home which is 4 days.

2-He is either eating pigeon **** in our back garden/ mud/or his own poo.

3-He tends to bite after either weeing or having a poo!

4- I can`t seem to toilet train him, any tips pls?

5- He is currently sleeping with us in the bedroom and don`t seem to leave my sight at all, he even follows me to the toilet.

Kind regards
Deepak

Hi and welcome to the forum.

1 - 5kg is quite small for a 9 week old, are you feeding him the same food as the breeder? A switch in foods could trigger a runny bum, along with all the changes in their lives the stress can in itself cause a bit of diarrhoea, but worth keeping an eye on as it could be something like giardia, which may need treating to clear up.

2 - poo to a dog is akin to half digested easy meals, so any poop is generally fair game, google coprophagia, it will come up with some ideas for you if he is indeed eating his own poop.

3 - quite a few pups/dogs are excited after toileting, my nine year old still does bum tucks after pooping.

4 - consistency, praise when he gets it right, and patience when he doesn't. Pups tend to want to toilet after an event, so waking up, playing, eating, drinking, then take him out for a toilet break.

5 - I can't speak, I've currently got 5 and they all sleep with me, follow me round the house and so on, it's not a problem for me, but I do have a baby gate in place if I have visitors and they can keep them from following them upstairs.

·
Registered
pablo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Tarimoor,

Thank you so much for your advice. The vet does not have any slots till next Tuesday, and he keeps getting diarrhoea, on the web it says to give him plain cooked rice, is this advisable?

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Dear Tarimoor,

Thank you so much for your advice. The vet does not have any slots till next Tuesday, and he keeps getting diarrhoea, on the web it says to give him plain cooked rice, is this advisable?
It is often advised that you give pups/dogs plain boiled rice with chicken, white fish or even scrambled eggs if they have a dodgy tummy, however, as your pup has diarrhoea and has had it since you brought him home, if he's still not having a solid stool, then he really needs to see the vet. You've not said if you've changed foods or stuck to the same as the breeder had him on, but lots of switching foods can prompt tummy problems, along with the change in his circumstances, ie new home. Has he seen the vet already anyway? A good breeder would have had him checked over by their vet, and also advised you to do the same within a few days of taking him home, just to check all is still ok with him. The problem with diarrhoea and pups is they are losing a lot of fluids and not digesting their food properly, as he's quite small anyway (it's approx 1kg per week when they are younger) then I'd be wanting a vet to check him over sooner rather than later and insisting they do so if you are at all worried about him not keeping his weight on and getting enough fluids down him. You are the person who is paying for a service from the vet, it's not the NHS, so you can insist on the service you want and not wait for it. If the vet you have him registered with won't see him any sooner, then phone round others and explain why you want him seeing sooner if that's the case.

·
Registered
pablo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Tarimoor,

Was playing with the pup outside as we have a fairly big garden. He has semi diarrhoea, gave him 2 spoons of plain yogurt. Yes i forgot to ask the Breeder what food he was on. We have put him on pedigree both solid and wet pouch too. he is running around and am over feeding him at the moment due to not absorbing food lately.
Me and the mrs both work in the NHS and will probably know when he is getting unwell. Thank you for guiding us- the pup loves me more than the wife-friend for life.

We are so grateful for your advice as it is very new to us to care for a pup 24/7.

kind regards,
Deepak

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Thank you Tarimoor,

Was playing with the pup outside as we have a fairly big garden. He has semi diarrhoea, gave him 2 spoons of plain yogurt. Yes i forgot to ask the Breeder what food he was on. We have put him on pedigree both solid and wet pouch too. he is running around and am over feeding him at the moment due to not absorbing food lately.
Me and the mrs both work in the NHS and will probably know when he is getting unwell. Thank you for guiding us- the pup loves me more than the wife-friend for life.

We are so grateful for your advice as it is very new to us to care for a pup 24/7.

kind regards,
Deepak
Pedigree is one of the worst foods on the market I'm afraid, slightly behind Bakers, both are diabolical and full of awful ingredients.

To be honest, the breeder should have told you the brand and most good breeders give new puppy owners a small supply so they have enough for at least the first few days, it sounds a bit odd that they haven't done this. Along with that they should give you information about worming and any other treatments pups have needed.

If the breeder has cut corners it might be that the pup has a tummy upset, if so, it's best that the vet sees him and takes any samples needed to confirm he's clear of any problems. In the meantime, start looking at better foods, pedigree is over priced and not that good, there's a website called 'all about dog food' where it's so easy to look and compare prices and quality of ingredients, I suggest having a look on there and with the guidance of the vet making a switch. Bare in mind some vets will sell Hills Science and Royal Canin, which aren't always the best suited foods, so try to get an unbiased viewpoint.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I have to say, the breeder not telling you and giving you full instructions on feeding and food certainly is not normal and definitely wouldn't fill me with confidence. No reputable breeder would send a puppy home without this information in a standard puppy pack.

Tarimoor has given some very sound advice but, if you’re in the UK, I’d strongly recommend you have good pet insurance in place too.

Reactions: Deboragh

·
Registered
Hailey, Yellow Lab
116 Posts
Yes I agree it's strange that your breeder didn't give you information on what food your puppy has been getting- I've her that it's unwise to change their food abruptly.

·
Registered
pablo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,
Thank you all for your continued support and advice. He is now begining to have semi formed stool today as i gave him boiled rice during the day and dry food in the morning and will give him dry food this evening too. After reading some reviews i gave him two spoons of natural yogurt too and hoping he is on the mend now. He is so sweet.

Kind regards,
as always
Deepak

·
Registered
pablo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,
I do not log in as regularly here so hence my delay in replying back as i have a full time job caring for puppy lol - he is mad full of energy and we have vet appointment tomorrow. Stay safe all .

kind regards
Deepak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts