Labradors Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

This is my first post on this wonderful site!!!

We (myself and hubby) are getting a black lab bitch pup. She was born a week ago, so will be ready to come to us end of September, which is great, as I have 10 days off work.

Now - we already have three cats - 8 year old brother and sister moggies, and a boisterous two year old female. All three are housecats.

Is there anything we should be doing to prepare our cats and home for the new arrival?

Any ideas, hints and tips will be gratefuly received!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi there...

One thing for sure is that the cats will rule the dog....

Skye Boy is our 6 yr old moggie, who is not the most socialble of animals in the first place, so you can imagine his disgust when we first introduced the Bug! - Just a few things that we did....

- Whilst the cat has never been one for the sofa, or jumping up anywhere, this rule went out the window....Beetle jsut wanted to (and stil does) want to play, but the cat needed to be able to get away from him...and held him in a sit, down on the floor

- Whenever the dog started to go for the cat - we always told him "no"...he is far calmer around him now....

- The dog is confined to the ground floor of the house with a stairgate, so that the cat has sanctuary upstairs....normally the cat will sit on the "safe" side - trying to whallop the dog

- The cat is always fed first - normally with the dog watching on (since a lab is always where the food is) - he has to sit and wait until the cat is finished before his food goes down on the floor

- Time is really all that is needed.....For the first month of so, the cat kept himself completely out of the way!!....Interesting, although he Thumps Beetle good style, he has never yet unsheathed his claws....

And we definitely try to give the cat special attention of his own - since without me thinking about it, I would lavish all of the love on Beetle!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts