Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hi all,thought I would pop in and say hello and introduce myself. My name is Hazel, I am from northampton shire,been married for 9 years and have 2 daughters (aged 7 and nearly 9). WE already have a german shepherd who is nearly 9 called Angel,and yesterday we bought ourselves (and Angel) a little black labrador puppy who we have named Piper :D..the thing is is that the mum had stopped feeding the pups early (she had 10) and they had to be weaned,and now I have a little 6 week old pup who thinks I am her MUM LOL. I am feeding her 4 times a day on ped.chum puppy food and a small bite mixer and she wolfs it down like there's no tomorrow,I am taking her to the vets for a check up tonight too,just to make sure that everythings ok and to arrange her innocculations. We are crate training her (we never with Angel) as it gives her a palce of her own away from the kids and Angle,and she loves it in there,whcih is good,and she seems eager to use paper too bless her. Look forward to hearing about all of your dogs and learning more about labradors in general :). I will post later and let you all know how she got on at the vets and will also sort getting a picyure of her on here.
Take care.. Hazel x :)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi hazel :) welcome to the forums i have 2 labs 1 black brandy and 1 choccy rosze also a cavalier king charles.lol..

6weeks is still a little young to leave mum my lab had 9 pups and i had to hand feed one of them from 3 days after birth but i still never sold them till they were 8-12 weeks old.. so sure take her the vet for a full health check she is to young to start her injections but the vet will go over this with you and make sure you talk over what she is eating :)

as for you being mum of course you are..lol..how is she getting on with angel??
as for the crate i dont crate my dogs but loads of ppl on here do so you will get loads of advice on that :):)

look forward to seeing pics of angel and piper :):)

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Hazel

Welcome to the forum - Piper sounds like a little :angel: :D (no pun intended on your other dog's name :lol: )

Look forward to hearing more about her.

My pup Corbie (20 weeks old) is dashing about the house with an empty plastic drinks bottle (the 2 litre variety!)... very noisy!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Hazel
Welcome to the Forum. I agree 6 weeks is too young to leave the nest. But that is down to the breeder.
It is always best to feed the same food as the breeder was giving to the pup. Do not change it.
Yes you are wise to crate the puppy it certainly gives her her own space, and your other dog her time on her own also, It also saves you form coming back to disruption when you go out. It is always better to leave them somewhere safe away from harms way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I spoke to the vet tonight and he has given her a check up and says that all is fine and that i can take her in 2 weeks for ehr first injections.
As for the food, I agree that keeping them on the same food as the breeder is the best option..however, the woman told me that she gave them human cereal in the morning ( mainly cornflakes rice krispies and porridge) with milk(human)) and then any dried puppy food that was available at the time so no specific food at all..I did say that she should have her on one type only and that milk shouldnt be given anyway.but she just said that she never raised any of her litters any differently and that all the pups have been perfectly fine with it..that was it :s so I thought it would be best to get her one one set thing so I am doing the same for her as we did for Angel, thats why i changed her food.
I have taken some pics tonight..so going to get roy (hubby) to try to get them on here :).
Take care...
Hazel x

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
Hi Hazel.
I must admit that although milk is frowned on these days, only a few years ago a milk meal was the norm for all puppies. Every one of mine has always had a milk meal up to around 12 weeks. At that point I change from 4 to 3 meals and the milk one is the one I drop.

As to having the puppy at 6 weeks old, this again is a sign of days gone by. My very first dog was only 5 weeks old, and again, in those days that was the norm. There are however, very good reasons for a breeder keeping the puppies a bit longer. Research has shown that for the first 3 weeks of a puppy's life that there is nothing that you can do to mentally affect it. The brain is just not developed enough. From 3 to 7 weeks a puppy needs to be around other dogs in order to associate with them in a natural manner. The playing with litter mates and discipline from the dam. From 7 to 12 weeks it is humans that it needs around to lean the dog/human interaction. If any of these phases and missing then it could lead to problems later.

So saying, 6 weeks is not bad, except in that the puppy is nowhere near as strong as it would be two weeks later.

Regards, John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again :eek:)..

Yes.. I must admit that a few years ago my friends dog had a litter of puppies and she started to wean them onto warm weetabix.. to be honest the milk wasnt my biggest problem,Angel likes a drink of milk now and again and seems fine LOL.. I think the thing that bothered me most was the fact that the breeder was giving them a milk feed 2 to 3 times a day sometimes and no specific cereal,just what was at the shop at the time,and she wasn't giving the puppies a set diet,there was no consistency to it (and no consistency the other end we found out when we got Piper home lol) but now she has 'firmed up' a treat and is doing fantastic bless her,she is a reallllll live wire.
She is slotting into our lives perfectly,I am tired this morning though as she seems to want to please me by asking to go to the loo every hour or so through the night, and seems to wait for me to say wee wees and then she goes..even just the slighteset drop and then comes running up for a fuss lol..I love her to bits :).

Hazel x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts