Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just joined this today 馃槏 so we got our beautiful golden lab puppy Charlie a week ago today 馃 he's just turned 9 weeks old, he's the perfect wee boy, we have a crate in our bedroom which we are happy for him to sleep in, he has been amazing in it from day 1 but last night was a bit of an unsettled night, a once off I'm hoping lol, advice I would like is, we have made a lovely wee room for him in the living room cupboard, done it all up for him with a stair gate on, trying to put him in there during the day is a no go he just doesn't like it, I haven't left him alone as yet apart from putting him in there to do housework, I was wondering should I bring his crate down in the day and get him to go in there for his naps etc and I'll need to get him to learn to stay by himself while I nip shops etc, thanks for reading xx

Administrator
Congratulations and welcome. Any questions, just ask.

Small point though, a little piece of history. Around the end of the nineteenth century the Labrador Retriever people were looking to get the breed accepted by the Kennel Club, which they finally achieved in 1903. At that time there was another group of dogs beginning to look for acceptance, the Golden Retriever. The Kennel Club, realising how confusing it would be if there was a Golden Retriever AND a golden Labrador Retriever, stipulated that hence fourth the Labrador would be know as yellow, never golden. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, and yeh sorry yellow I just say a golden lab 馃槀 I am looking at all the forums for advice etc and having a good read, he's a good boy just need to start leaving him on his own for small amounts of time to get him used to it lol x

Administrator
advice I would like is, we have made a lovely wee room for him in the living room cupboard, done it all up for him with a stair gate on, trying to put him in there during the day is a no go he just doesn't like it
Personally I would either bring the crate down for him, or if it's awkward, (Dont take chances of falling down stairs) get a second crate for downstairs. Crates are dirt cheap on Ebay.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh I brought the one from bedroom down and I popped to my local asda which is only 5 muns away, my daughter put him in the cage and went upstairs she said he whined for 10 mins then stopped then again but stopped lol, he was lying down and calm when I came in so I'm gonna do this every day even if it's just to walk round block or stand outside lol sure he will get used to it x

Administrator
Yes, way to go. Lots of leaving for very short periods. It gets a pup use to being left and helps to avoid separation anxiety. Dont make a big thing out of leaving, or returning. Treat it as a "non event" and in time so will your dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect thank you, will try that over the next few days 馃憣 he fell asleep in the carpet next to me then I picked him up and popped him in the crate, he whined for minutes then gave up and fell asleep for 20 mins lol now back having play time, thanks for the advice will let you know how we get on next few days 馃憤

1 - 7 of 7 Posts