Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice - we have two labradors - one who is 9 years old and the other one is 6 years old. Both are females and have been spayed.

Yesterday we brought home a new puppy (also a female) and we are concerned about how our 6 year old is responding. The puppy understandably wants to play however, every time she runs up to the 6 year old, the 6 year old seems to get nervous / anxious and runs away. The puppy then chases her as she thinks it is a game but it still causes nervousness and anxiety in the 6 year old. The 6 year old has always been a little unsure of other dogs - she'll have a sniff but then isn't really interested and likes the ability to get away.

As we live in a high traffic dog area and the puppy isn't getting vaccinated until Friday it wasn't possible to introduce them in on a walk so we used the garden and all previous toys have been packed away for now to prevent any resource guarding over them.

We have been calmly praising the 6 year old when she goes near the puppy and has a sniff / follows her round but the boisterousness seems to really unsettle her. The puppy isn't allowed on the sofas or upstairs so there is space that the 6 year old can have some time out.

We really don't want to stress the 6 year old out and we hate seeing her anxious / nervous and we want her to be ok with the puppy so if anyone has any advice or guidance on how we can help our 6 year old feel more confident with the puppy that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
Hello Lauraj27. This is not unusual. It's a big upheaval and something they have to get use to. My Anna truly hated Amy when I brought her home, would not allow her near! This went on for two weeks. She growled every time Amy went near. Then one day I was playing tug of war with Amy and Anna looked like she wanted to join in so I offered her the other end. She took it, then jumped on Amy and washed her from head to toe. Problem gone! When Chloe arrived Amy was not keen, but soon came round to the idea.

You need to take command, shield your adults and help educate pup. Call pup away if she is bothering the adults. Be aware that babies get OTT when they get tired. I always pup my pups in their crate for an hours sleep in the afternoon and the evening. It gives both the adults and myself time to recharge batteries.

Puppies are hard work for the adults, as well as us. Give time for them all to adjust and things should be fine. :)

·
Premium Member
9,039 Posts
It sounds perfectly normal to me. My oldies look at me and say “not another one” whilst rolling their eyes heavenward 🤣🤣

Reactions: AliMack
1 - 3 of 3 Posts