Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pup is 10 weeks, arrived with us yesterday and has been as good as gold but decidedly lacking in the toilet dept, only been twice in 24 hours...is this likely anxiety or something I should worry bout more? When he has gone he has been praised and then taken back to the same spot etc etc but even after eating still nothing...

Any support gratefully rcvd..

Thanks

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
The pup will poop generally shortly after eating. So if you have only fed him twice then he will likely only have pooped twice.

What are you feeding him??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mix his kibble with a generous amount of water. Take him out to his area of choice every hour urging him to go by using same prompt each time (I use "wee wee" and it has worked for over 5 months!) Extra water will soften his stool and remove any danger of constipation. You will have to take him out at least once during the night time as well. I think you have got a good baby on your hands who is a bit worried and embarassed about doing his business in the new surroundings. Use this opportunity to house-train him.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Are you talking pee too? If pup has only pee'd twice in 24hrs, get to vet ASAP. Does pup seem ok otherwise? Drinking ok? If only 2 poos, as Fee says, I wouldn't be overly worried about that. Did pup pass the stools ok, or seemed to have difficulty, straining etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
three wees and only one poo since he arrived yesterday, nothing in his crate over night but didnt go when we took him out at 2am and 4am. He saw the vet this morn for second injections and he wasnt concerned but I am as cant train him if he wont go! Feeding same as he was on w breeder, kibble w puppy milk so already food is supple etc. He isnt sniffing or showing signs of going, last wee was after the vet at around 10.30 am and he ate lunch at 12.30pm....and nothing, have taken him to the spot a few times saying same phrase etc etc...

...??

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hmmm not sure, my pup needed to pee all the time, but she might not have been typical in comparison to other pups. If vet not worried, then I'd just keep an eye on it and if he doesn't pee soon, I'd phone them back (but I'm a worry wort and I'd just be a wee bit worried about dehydration maybe....it can be life threatening in kittens and puppies). I'm sure you're wee bundle is absolutely fine though and just has a bladder of steel! He can't be dehydrated or the vet would've spotted that this morning. I'd go with what Daddy suggests, just keep encouraging him to drink loads and then he'll have to 'go' sooner or later. Maybe keep an eye on how much liquid he's getting so if you do need to go to the vets, you'll be able to tell them he's drank x amount and hasn't pee'd since y.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Why are you feeding puppy milk??

And... what kind of kibble??

What age is your pup?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is on James Wellbeloved lamb and rice puppy kibble, and puppy milk as that is what the whole litter have been on with breeder - obv we arent going to change this on day 1...vet advised weaning off puppy milk over the next 4 weeks.

Will keep an eye, think it may be that he is self conscious...if thats possible? He went with no problem tho at the end of the vet visit this morning just nothing since...

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I would say if you think the pup isn't pee-ing enough then add some water to the food. Basically what goes in must come out. I've never had a pup come to me on puppy milk though. At 8 weeks they are generally on to kibble and water.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Milk can be constipating in humans..... wonder if it is in dogs?

I don't know anything about puppy milk.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
have you tried having a little play with him outside to see if that makes him go... my pups at that age would go several times a day, normally after each sleep and after each play session.

i'd add water to the kibble too just to get him drinking some more. as others have said, what goes in, must come out.

and is he with you all the time??? i only ask as my friend had a puppy once who loved to go behind the sofa and she didn't realise for a few days! 8O i'd maybe double check everywhere to make sure he's not sneaked off :lol:

also Coal hates going when its raining! :roll: and he's nearly 3 yrs old!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for tips.....Bosun had a long sleep this afternoon and then went outside to toilet, he got a treat so hopefully we are moving in the right direction!

Many thanks

:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would blame milk for this problem. Gradually thin the milk by mixing in water. Your puppy should have been completely weaned off milk before he came to you. Milk would cause constipation specially when given with dry kibble. Max is on James Well Beloved since the day we brought him in. This food creates a lot of poo. One or two stools in two days are not enough. This baby has got a dry gut because of the milk. He needs more water, much more water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts