Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We're about to get our labrador puppy in 4 weeks time, and I thought I'd better introduce myself before inevitably bombarding the forum with questions.

We are a family of 4 on the Wirral, the kids are 7 and 9 and incredibly excited! They've named the pup Sonny.

I've owned a dog before, a Japanese Akita, but that was a while ago now. My wife has never owned a dog but has wanted a labrador her whole life. Now, finally, thanks to the joys of flexible/home working we're able to provide a home with at least one of us here all day (with plenty of family fighting over the opportunity to sit in for us if needed).

The only problem is that lockdown seems to have driven demand and prices for puppies through the roof. After a lot of hassle weeding out puppy farms and people breeding whatever dogs can get their hands on to cash in, we think we've found a good breeder with healthy breeding parents and can't wait for these next 4 weeks to pass.

I've become a bit obsessed with this site, although it took a while to find it. I came across a lot of other labrador related sites first but this one stands out for the level of information and experience being shared.
I've managed to research and answer 90% of my questions and recommendations but I have a few other questions that I'll probably post up in due course.

Scott.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Welcome to you Scott and your family. Dont think life will be easy, because it wont! The first few weeks will have you doubting the wisdom of getting a Labrador puppy. But dont despair, given time they grow up into the most wonderful dogs. :)

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Just make sure you do your research, I've come across a lot of breeder misinformation, scams and lying by people looking for a puppy and asking me for help. The most recent was a lovely lady who had been told all health tests in place on both parents, and this was the bitches second litter. There were no health tests on either parent, and it's the third litter for the bitch; the breeder has numerous dogs and is just breeding with minimum effort on the parts needed, ie actual planning, health testing, researching pedigrees etc, but simply bunging two dogs they own together, numerous times each year to sell puppies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Yes, I'm trying to be the voice of reason in the family (I won't say pessimist!), and have tried warning them all about the biting and general destruction. I'm a bit worried about night times. I might sleep downstairs to make it easier to get him out for toilet breaks etc.

The paperwork all seems to be legitimate (as far as I can tell) and we've met the mother (and her father). There's been extensive health tests on both sides and I've spent some time checking it all out on the kennel club website and all seems very good compared with others I'd checked. We've certainly come across a few possible scams, an almost certain puppy farm and breeding from dogs with not so desirable health reports. And that doesn't include many other suspicious looking adverts we didn't even add to our list. It's a minefield!
Hopefully we've made the right choice!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Exciting times ahead. Good luck with the new pup and welcome to LF.

Reactions: Kenno

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Kenno. We are also about to adopt a new puppy and coincidentally we are probably going to call him Sonny (rhyming with Johnny) after my son’s favourite footballer (Son Heung Min). We are collecting him on 18th September. Our old Labrador Dawson had to be put down as he had a tumour in his heart. He was only 10 years old and otherwise healthy and in good condition so his sudden illness was a terrible shock. We also had trouble finding a reputable breeder. The prices were sky high and many of the pups had no health checks. I emailed some breeders directly and found a breeder who took pity on me and put me on her waiting list - I think we were lucky. We have visited the puppies and seen both parents. Having a dog during lockdown was good for my wellbeing - we couldn’t have a dog when my kids were young as we were both office based so I think it’s great that you are able to have one now. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about Dawson but glad you've managed to find a good breeder. It's been hard enough work finding a puppy with plenty more hard work to come!
We're getting our Sonny just a few days after you (fingers crossed) so the next 3 weeks are going to pass very slowly!
My daughter named him (pronounced Sunny) but I have no idea where she got it from, I think she was just desperate to stop me coming up with more and more terrible names.
Both mine and my wife's work is fairly flexible so we're fortunate to be able to do this now, but I'm hoping we can get him into some sort of routine so we can get enough work done without too much hassle - we'll have to see how it goes.
Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts