Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 year old black lab is a first time momma. Her babies are 5 days old today and yesterday afternoon, I caught momma scratching at the carpet in a corner of my bedroom (the whelping box is in my room). Momma was on the side of my bed, which is almost against the wall...she squezzed her body in that small space and it was like she was trying to dig. I thought maybe she had to go outside. I put some chairs in that space so she couldn't get back there but today she had pulled the chairs out and has actually pulled up the carpet from the floor...and ripped out the foam from underneath. There is carpet shreds everywhere. Should I be concerned about her behavior or is this an instinctive action, maybe having something to do with her new puppies (maybe she is trying to move them??)
Any input is much appreciated!

·
Administrator
21,398 Posts
Her hormones are racing at the moment and nesting like this is something which is always likely to happen. Taken in isolation I would not be worried but keep an eye open for anything else. Listlessness, lethargy, anything out of character and if at all worried don't hesitate to get her to the vet's.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I can only agree with John. This does often happen after whelping. But do keep an eye on her, It could be her calcium levels, and therefore she would need to see a vet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yasmin had a phantom pregnancy not long ago and she kept brushing her nose against the carpet near her bed and on the bed itself and cut her nose. It was almost like a carpet burn on her nose! She kept doing it, so when it stopped bleeding, it would start again! She would go round the house and brush against the skirting boards. We had spots of blood everywhere!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi

was it a natural deleivery? have the vets seen mum and pups?? if not have you thought of the possibilty of her still haveing a pup inside?? if she is trying to nest again may be a wild shot... but nip her to the vet for a thorough check over as i have heard of this happening before..
let us know how she got on :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your input! I took Momma to the vet and she is healthy and fine. She has not dug up the carpet since that day so I think it was just a phase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts