Labradors Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
If your looking for a Lab sized or smaller (sounds like small from what you`ve said) then as someone already said don`t go down the doodle route, they are as large sometimes larger than a lab.

I`m with the others, if you`d really like a lab try breed rescue or if you don`t want an older one have a look for reputable breeders, there are lists of breed clubs on the forum that I believe you could still look for although your posts have run out, to subscribe is just a tenner a year, well worth it for the mine of information and help/advice that is LF :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" Reminder to myself not to use a wooden whelping box or use sawdust/shavings in my dog runs as I then will be a puppy farmer? "

Natasha, this advert made the 5 month old out to be a pet dog living in a house... but the advert showed a dog in a whelping type box with sawdust... So basically not what was logical for a 5 month old housepet. I know no offense was intended to breeders who kennel etc etc, it was steering the buyer away from something which obviously is not what it seems...

Di

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Diana said:
" Reminder to myself not to use a wooden whelping box or use sawdust/shavings in my dog runs as I then will be a puppy farmer? "

Natasha, this advert made the 5 month old out to be a pet dog living in a house... but the advert showed a dog in a whelping type box with sawdust... So basically not what was logical for a 5 month old housepet. I know no offense was intended to breeders who kennel etc etc, it was steering the buyer away from something which obviously is not what it seems...

Di
I didn't take offense - it's just my wicked sense of humor that kicked in for a second :lol: :lol: :lol: . I'm not actually sure if I can be offended - skin like a rhino :lol: :lol: :lol:

Natasha

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I did not see the link, as it has been deleted due to forum advertising rules.

I agree with all of what has already been said. The only thing I would add is that if you need to be reasonably certain your new dog, when you get it, will not grow bigger than a certain height then you will have a much clearer idea if you go for a pedigree dog of well known parentage.

With well bred pedigree labradors you will have a fair idea obviously. Same with other purebred dogs. :D

Labradoodles - were you perhaps thinking of them as lab X toy poodles? I could be wrong here, but I thought the standard poodle was the one normally used, and the standard poodles I have encountered are well and truly large dogs. Lovely looking IMHO, but large! I'm not trying to criticise there, as I guess it is a common enough misconception. :D

I think if I planned to re-home a dog whose parentage I could not be sure of I would do it via a rescue as already suggested. You could use breed-specific rescues as well as general ones.

Helen.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Sorry Natasha, I think I've had a sense of humour bypass lately - thats the second time I've not noticed someone was patently joking lately on here! Apols ;-)

Wasn't sure if the link to the advert was removed from the thread before or after you saw it which might have created a tad of confusion. Anyway, shut up Di ;-)

Di

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Contender said:
littlelab said:
likely to be a puppy farmer, sawdust and wooden box 8O
:roll: :roll: Reminder to myself not to use a wooden whelping box or use sawdust/shavings in my dog runs as I then will be a puppy farmer? :roll: :roll:

Natasha
I know breeders use whelping boxes for pups :wink: (thanks Di for the back up) :D it was the fact the dog was 5 months old and was supposed to kept as a family pet that was the clue here...... :wink:

There was no offence meant to ANY breeder on here at all :D

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Topseyt said:
I agree with all of what has already been said. The only thing I would add is that if you need to be reasonably certain your new dog, when you get it, will not grow bigger than a certain height then you will have a much clearer idea if you go for a pedigree dog of well known parentage.
Or go for a full grown adult rescue dog :)

Hey, it's National Dog Adoption Month, gotta keep trying :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
My bichon frise x jack Russell (looks like a lamb coated woolly slug with short stubby legs, thick long body and large head) has been nabbed by a Labrador in full season....we tried real hard to prevent any communications in this time.....whats the chances she has caught, and would the pups kill my girl as they grow in her let alone birthing...?

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
It's not clever to mate dogs of very dissimilar size a Labrador size pup inside a Bichon would likely kill the bitch at worst, and at best could not be born without a caesarean. Yes accidents do happen, but that's one reason vets have injections they can give to make a bitch abort.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts