Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am looking at a labrador crossed with a Bichon Frise, it looks like a choc lab, is 5 months old but i wondered if this breed is unusual or fairly normal? Would you expect it to be full lab sixe or is this impossible to tell? At what age do labs generally stop growing or turn from puppies to dogs?

I hope anyone can help,

many thanks, Maria

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It would be unusual to cross a labrador with a Bichon I have to say because of the size difference. It would be potentially quite dangerous to deliberately try because of the size difference, but I expect this was somehow an accidental mating.

So no it would not be common. labradors tend to be physically mature at around 12 months of age in terms of skeletal development but there is a lot of mental and muscular maturing to go after that till about 2 and a half years of age at least.

I would not expect it to grow to full labrador size.

Di

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot Di, i thought it must be very unusual! I cant find any other info on the net & believe me i have looked for a long time :)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I wasn't sure if you meant that you were looking FOR such a cross, or whether you were looking at one at your feet as your typed...?

Di

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, no i meant I was looking at getting one that i have seen advertised, i dont think anyone would have seen a lab x bichon, are there health issues with unusual breeds?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to be honest i am not fussed what breed/cross it is, i just wasnt too keen on getting a large dog as my house isnt the biggest, we do have a garden. Maybe a labradoodle or something may be nice too.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
They're not an unusual breed :) They are a crossbreed - not sure if they are a first cross (ie one parent is a lab and the other a bichon) or a cross further down the line.

I know zilch about breeding as rescue is my thing so will leave that to the experts, but I would have thought with a first cross you have every chance of inheriting either the good or bad points from either parent.

With labs there are certain health tests that good breeders complete on dogs they intend to breed from - I'm not sure about bichons but I think they can be prone to dislocating kneecaps can't they (luxating patella I think it's called) - I presume good breeders wouldn't breed from a dog that suffered from this, but this mating sounds like an accidental one as Di said.

I'd be careful about buying a bichon sort (well any dog) but I'm sure I read once that something like 90% of Bichons in the UK are now puppy farmed :cry:

If you are not too bothered about what breed you have - although we have labs and our house isn't huge by any means - have you thought of visiting your local rescue centre, they will have breeds and crossbreeds of all shapes and sizes :)

?

·
0 Posts
Hiya Maria,

I'm not sure about the colour genetics of a Bichon, as they only come in white.....but I would have thought it pretty much impossible to have a brown pup out of a white dog, which genetically carries no other colours and a Chocolate Lab...The colour genes sort of have to match up on both sides. So if you are looking at a brown pup which looks like a Lab but has short legs, you could be looking at either an unknown cross (in other words the owners just guessed what the Dad was) or a pure Lab that has Dwarfism.

Now if it is an unknown cross, then apart from not knowing what size or temperament you will end up with, then you should be ok. But if it is a Dwarf Lab, then you could be letting yourself in for some horrendous health problems....not least Blindness at an early age.

I think it is a case of "Buyer Beware" in this instance.

Just like the lady I know that bought what she thought was a 12 week old Jack Russell.....when it turned out to be a 5 week old docked Border Collie 8O .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats the link to the ad i saw, please have a look and tell me what you think,

Maria

removed the link as its classed as advertising

?

·
0 Posts
Well I had a look and to tell you the truth I don't think it resembles a Labrador OR a Bichon. It could just be a plain common or garden Mongrel of unknown heritage.....If anything I would say with the size of it's ears it could have a bit of Cocker Spaniel in there.

I come from Basildon, so I feel I'm qualified to say this.......Please be very careful when buying a dog from round here.

There is a very large Travellers Community here and some of them buy pups in from all over the country from Puppy Farms (I hasten to add this doesn't only happen with Travellers, before anyone jumps on that statement). You could be buying a perfectly good puppy of unknown parents....but then you could be buying a whole lot of heartache in the form of Vets Bill or Behavioural problems.

I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even though it is seriously cute.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I would agree with Jules you will have no idea what may be around the corner. You have used up all your posts now but thankfully can still read
My advice like a few others would be toget a Rescue dog that way you are home checked and the homechecker will be able to tell you what sort of dog may fit into your home and lifestyle x

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My parents had 3 Bichons; and mated one of them (abs. georgeous puppies), and i have to say that the puppy in the photo looked nothing like either a Lab pup or Bichon pup - but im no expert :D
(personally i wouldnt get a dog from a "Ad" site either, i would do the rescue centres first if you're looking for any "type" of dog...)

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Please please please be wary of ads like these. unforutnately they are becoming all too common, and so many puppy farmers and people of dubious intent advertise their pups on these sites as a way of making a fast buck.

The photo is a dead giveaway that this is likely to be a puppy farmer, sawdust and wooden box 8O , not saying it is, but whoe keeps their pet 5 month old dog like that?

As far as parentage, I would doubt their is any Lab there but who knows, unless you see both parents.

If you want a definate pedigree, research and find a good, reputable breeder, most will have waiting lists.

If you are looking for an older dog, then rescue is a great route, and there are so many mongrels, corss adn pure breeds looking for new homes right now

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
If you don't want a large dog, then don't consider a labradoodle. They are like small ponies!!! Or at least... I should qualify, the ones that I have come across are! ;)

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Why not just a labrador from a Rescue?

Labrador Rescue South East & Central cover your area www.lrsec.org.uk

There are some examples of dogs needing homes on their website but to be honest, you are better making contact with them as the list of available dogs changes often and the website only shows a few.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Looking at that photo I'd not want to put any money on the dog having any lab or bichon.

I'd be very wary of buying through the free-ads. There are people legitimately trying to rehome a dog but there are many, many more who are selling badly bred puppies to whoever turns up first with the money and I think anyone buying from such people is just encouraging this trade to continue.

If you want a Labrador then please get in touch with a good lab rescue (Helen's recommended a very good one above) or find a good breeder (people on here can advise on how to go about that).

If you're not fussed as to breed, as you said a bit earlier, then do consider just trying a general rescue centre as there are thousands of lovely dogs looking for a great home.

If you would consider an older dog (aged seven plus) then take a look at the Oldies Club website: http://www.oldies.org.uk - lots of lovely dogs needing a new home and many still have plenty of life left in them :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts