Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm Nikki.

I recently lost my best friend Goldie who was 13 (golden lab). I miss him dearly but have decided on a black lab puppy, although my boy will never be replaced!! He's due here on 18th Sept.

I'm trying to read up on things as I was young when we first got Goldie.

I am planning on a crate bed, which has been recommended. Does a waterproof sheet need put down incase he pees in there or is that unlikely?

Also, how will I wean the pup off the breeders food, he told me he just used quite cheap food which I don't really want to use.

Also, any ideas of names? I'm stumped here!! Not really keen on human names haha.

Thanks!!

G

·
Congratulations on your puppy-to-be!! Our black lab puppy arrived four weeks ago and we love him to pieces. Like you we lost a 12 year old lab and I truly believe he is watching over all of us!

As to names my OH suggested we look at traditional hounds names on Jorrocks.com (sorry no good at actual links!). My son eventually decided on Marley's name, but I must admit there was a huge choice on Jorrocks and loads of non-human names.

Jayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way, Marley has totally been my first choice too!!!

I told a friend at work today I fancied Marley as the name and she called me sad because of the film.

I hope my boy's looking over us too!! I love your little Marley!!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Hi and Welcome, there is lots of info in the puppy section that will help you prepare for your new arrival :D

My youngest pup (10months) has been crated since he came home. I bought vet bed to put on the bottom of his crate (have a look on ebay) it's fab nice and warm and fluffy but can be thrown in the washing machine on a 90 degree wash. I just used to put that on the whole floor of the crate. Sydney never weed in his crate but did have a few poos 8O only when he had an upset tummy and i ignored his digging to get out :oops: I used to get up once during the night for the first few weeks (about 3am) to give him a toilet break and found that toilet training overnight was really easy - i just weaned off the night break by making it later and later until we were getting up anyway.

Sydney is still in his crate but now has a bed in there too.

Hope this helps

G

·
Thanks Nikki

I was a little dubious about the name Marley, but we have had nothing but nice comments, in fact most people refer to the book rather than the film and some just ask if it was after Bob Marley, which of course the lab in the book was!

If you like Marley just go for it, after all the lab in the film gave everyone loads of love!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I liked Marley because it reminds me of my last dog who was an old golden lab and had to get put down. Don't think i'll be able to watch that film again :(

Any tips from a young puppy owner on things to do that i've not thought of?!

G

·
I watched the film on a plane from New York stuck between a huge American business man and an Eastern European gentleman and I balled my eyes out at the end, all I could think about was my lovely Tussell. My daughter was further over on the same plane and she said "I wont cry"...oh yes she did, sobbed!!

The trickiest part I have found has been which food, but there are lots of lovely people on here to help. I had forgotten how much puppies bite and we have still to overcome that one!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi Nikki and welcome to LF, as Leanne suggested vetbed is ideal for crates, fairly cheap off Ebay and easy to chuck in the machine for a wash, dries pretty quickly too but best to have a back up piece :D

As to weaning him off breeders food you need to do that slowly over a period of about 7 to 10 days, just add a bit of new to old making it a little more each day til its been replaced altogether, also be warned though that a change of water can also upset their tums so don`t be too worried if he has a runny poo for a day or so but not for too long.

Can I ask if you have checked that all possible health checks have been done on the pups parents?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, is there any food that you'd recommend, and how would I know the pups weight? I've looked on the back of food and it says like 1 cup for 6kg for example.

the mother is the breeders pet and the dad was from somewhere local to him too but everything was fine with both parents yes.

Will look at that bedding, the crate i'm getting has a free matress so should maybe wait until I know he'll have no accidents before using that one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts