Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We recently rescued a two year old bitch from lab rescue north west. She's settling in well with our existing choc 10 month old boy, and after quite a bit of humping and chasing, they seem to have settled.

She does seem quite anxious though, and very vocal. She also hates cats with a passion, and will "do one" whenever she gets near one. No chance of recall or anything.

Obviously, this kind of behaviour is very embarrassing, especially when our 10 month old is very well behaved on and off the lead.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She's also very boistrous as soon as a lead is put on. I notice she has a halti in the pack of things we got with her, but not sure if I should use it or not. She doesn't seem to listen like Harvey (our choc boy) - and despite having what I consider to be separation anxiety, she does stray quite a bit while walking. The notes on her said that 9 times out of 10 she wouldn't return after being let off the lead. We have not found this to be the case, but her return and wait are sketchy at best (needing her to wait at stiles, doorways etc).

We have been calling her back to us quite a bit and praising her on return, which is going well - but she just seems so much more headstrong than Harvey.

We love her very much, and want her to be happy. I'm sure she would be more settled if we could teach her to be slightly more attentive. She is certainly the dominant one of the two, and established that very early on.
She is not trying to dominate me, and is very eager to please.

We have had Harvey from a pup, and have trained him into a very good dog - do the same rules apply to a two year old?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Hello.
Welcome to LF :D
I got a 3 year old rescue dog from a rescue center (labrador welfare?). He was really noisy to when we first got him. He seamed to have some very bad anxiety issues when we left him. He would howl and bark the entire time we were out :(
Its taken about 9 months for him to settle in properly. I wont lie its been really hard work and expensive in 'damages'.

Do you know much about her past? Was she neglected?
It the lead new? She might be used to the halti form her former home.
Im probally not the best person to reply to you on here as Diesel is normally good when out and is now so quite the neighbors thought we have got rid of him 8O

Give her time. I always say a rescue pet is a little like taking on a foster child. You don't always know what has happened to them in the past. Where a child can tell you whats wrong a pet cant.
I wouldn't have thought the same rules apply to a 2 year old. As shes older and already had her own views of whats right and wrong inforced by previous owners.

There are loads of really good people on here with brilliant advice. Im sure one of them can give you some better tips.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply.

We know quite a bit about her past - to a degree. Her previous owner was an 80 year old gentleman who loved her to bits. He was heartbroken when he had to give her up - I have honestly no idea how he managed to walk her. I am quite a strong bloke, and I struggle with her when she is really pulling. We know she was loved and cared for by the elderly gent, and in no way mistreated.

He had her for 8 months before us, and before that he got her from a rescue place in Manchester. Before that? No idea.

My partner and I *think* she may have had pups, as her "undercarriage" is quite loose - although we are not experts at all! Her nipples also appear more prominent than on other bitches I have seen (not that I'm going around looking!). These may not be an indication of anything, but just seem to be odd.

I told her off this evening, and ignored her for a while. When I called her over to give her a rub she went bananas. She really is so eager to please. She has really taken to my partner (maybe they display the same traits - don't tell her I said that).

As I said - all we really want is for her to be happy, and despite the fact that she has settled a lot, I still don't think she's all the way there. It's good to hear from someone who's been where we are, and maybe I'm expecting too much after a couple of weeks.

We are off camping in Malham on Thursday with the hounds - no idea what to expect from her! I guess that's the problem - the unknown.

They seem to compliment each other though. Harvey helps Connie with her recall, and Connie helps Harvey to not be so excited around other dogs. We are at the stage now where they will both just lay down and sleep without play fighting all the time.

Again, thanks for replying

PS: what are labpounds?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Lolabelle said:
She has really taken to my partner (maybe they display the same traits - don't tell her I said that).

I hope you're not referring to the saggy undercarriage and prominent nipples 8O 8O
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Im sure she will settle in. Give her time to get used to you and the family. Have you tried a harness with her? Worked a treat on Diesel. As soon as he gets on in he knows theres no point in pulling so he doesn't now :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts