Labradors Forums banner

New Chocolate Lab PUP INFO PLZZZZZ!!!!

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  bradleysmum 
#1 ·
I am being givin a pure bred chocolate lab puppy for free by a person i know. They arnt "certified breeders" I think that the breeding just kind of happend on accident. They had I believe 12-14 puppies and offered to give me one of them for free. I told them I would love one. They said they would give it to me next week making it i believe 3 weeks old. I am aware that the standard time is about 7-8 weeks old but I may have to take care of him @ 3 weeks. I was wondering what i should expect and have to do for the dog @ 3 weeks old. Also I was wondering if the dog is going to have any Socialization flaws or temperment flaws due to being taken from his mother and other brothers and sisters so early.

Also I have 3 cats and 1 dog and I was wondering how the dog is going to react to them being as son as he is.(this i guess deals with socialization as well)

#2 ·
Hi,

No pup should be taken away from its mum before 6 weeks, ideally 8 weeks. 3 weeks old is far to young. During this time it will learn things from its mum and brothers and sisters and will have problems if it has. No respectable breeder would EVER let pup go that young. :( ALARM BELLS ARE RINGING HERE!

Cristina

#3 ·
:( :shock: oh no not another one.....sorry but another person on this thread also received a dog at the same age as you are being offered.
PLEASE DONT ACCEPT..3 weeks is far to young to leave mum it needs its mothers milk.. i know she is your freind but the puppys interest comes first and you take the pup on and
it may not survive..
social problems as its not being brought up around its litter mates and mum.

please decline her offer or wait till the right age..
all them puppys need there mother

if you take the pup on prepare to bottle feed it every 4hrs until ready to be weaned also the sleepless nights and the mess..
ass for your other dog im not sure how it would react

again i say DONT TAKE THIS PUP ON :( :(

#4 ·
Hi
Welcome to the Forum I repeat like the other posters DO NOT TAKE THIS PUPPY ON. I believe it is illegal to allow a puppy to go to a new home before 6 weeks and that is stretching it. 8 weeks should be minimum.
Were all the puppies you mention from the same litter?
This breeder should be reported no reputable breeder would allow these puppies to leave the nest at such a young age.
I would also be asking myself whether they are pure bred??? But this makes no difference regarding the age they leave the mother, whether they are pure bred or mongrels, they all deserve the right treatment. Please think of this puppy you will not be able to have any vaccinations at such a young age, and it will be very risky especially if you have another dog and cats, yet alone all the behaviour problems you may encounter in the future.

#5 ·
Look I dont know these people personally. They are not dog breeders, there dog just happend to get pregnant and they had 14 puppies. The fact that what they are doing is illegal or unhealthy is irrelevant. I just want to know what i should expect having to take this puppy on at such an early age. There is nothing that can be done, the people like i said i dont know personally so what they do with the dogs is up to them. I cant take care of 14 puppies by my self. So if I can save the life of 1 of them I sure am going to try.

#6 ·
Hi Kazi15, welcome. I noticed your question on another Lab site earlier, this is an accidental breeding and your friend simply wants rid of the puppies because they don't want the added work or responsibility, correct?

I think you got some very sound advice from professional breeders and responsible pet owners there. I know you'll get some more excellent advice here, and it's fantastic that you're trying to do your research, I just have a feeling it's not what you want to hear.

Again, 3 weeks is far too young to take those puppies from their mother and littermates. Please do not do it. And if you cannot make your friend understand that, or they just don't care, please call a rescue service or a welfare agency and get the pups the proper care they need from someone with experience. They didn't have a choice about being born, but you have a choice about making a responsible decision and giving them a fighting chance. Please do that for those puppies. Then when they are old enough and healthy enough you can take one home if you still feel you need to. Good luck and I really hope things work out well for you and all the puppies.

#8 ·
yes dana said something there that slipped my mind..

if the owner of the dog and puppys cannot cope with them all then get them to contact animal welfare also at the same time inform them that you wish to take one on and when the pup becomes the right age you will hopefully have a nice healthy pup thats had a better start in life than being takin from its mum far to young

my black lab brandy got pregnant by *accident* she had a litter of 9 but i made sure each and every one of them got a good home and left there mum at the right age infact i never let them go till they were 12 weeks..lol..
i know you feel we are having a go but we are only trying to give you good advice

#9 ·
Kazi - it looks like we posted at the same time there :-D The fact that it could be illegal and it is unhealthy for the puppies IS relevant. What these people are doing is wrong and that is bigger than you just wanting a puppy. If you can get them to a rescue you have a chance of saving them all, not just one. I don't mean to harp on but you sound like a good guy and I know you just want to do what's best - keeping them with their mother for 8 weeks would be best. If you can't do that then a rescue group is the thing to do.

#11 ·
Some of my friends families took there pups into their homes @ very early ages such as 2 weeks and their dogs are strong healthy and social. Is this just very lucky particular cases or is it just the amount of time and effort you put into raising the pup when they are so young?

#12 ·
Hi
I really do think that if some friends have taken puppies at two weeks they are very lucky. Puppies at that age have only just got their eyes open.
It would be nice to see this litter you are speaking of all saved into a rescue not just one. You sound so kind and your intentions are good, but if the breeder is not looking after them properly, it would help if they were all helped by persons who know what to do. Let us know what happens as we are all interested for the puppies sakes.

#13 ·
A puppy at 2 weeks has to be: kept the proper temperature; bottle fed ever 2-3 hours; stimulated to urinate and defecate (and cleaned after); and has almost no resistance to infection or disease; so yes, I'd say they were very lucky to have a healthy puppy.

That doesn't look like a very long list but the complications that can be involved with each one makes a very long list indeed. Please just think about it, if it were alright to take a pup away at 2 or 3 weeks why wouldn't we all be doing it? The simple fact is, it's far less work and far better for the puppies to leave them with the mother - she takes care of ALL of that.

#14 ·
#15 ·
I decided to go ahead and call my local vet and see what he had to say seeing as though he would be the one giving the shots and treating the puppy. He said that @ 4-5 weeks i should be ok to take the puppy home and he would start the vaccination shots @ 5-6 weeks. and every 3 weeks after that until they are all completed. He also said he would get him de-wormed if necessary and perscribe heart-worm medicine. He gave me prices and was very helpful. Seemed to know what he was talking about and made me very confident about raising my pup. I also talked to the people that have the dogs and they are going to raise them and sell them so thats going to work out ok.

Next thing is picking out a name!!! I was thinking mebe Kolbe, Cody, Riley, or Bailey. any Suggestions????????

#16 ·
hi
again you are going to be mad at me but i have to say this

i took my dog to the vet just for a routine health check i also asked him about the age of puppys leaving there mum (he looked at me funny since i have had a litter..well brandy did not me..lol..) he says 7 weeks 8 weeks ideal for pup again health issues social issues deisease so the best is stay with mum.

now you say the owner is going to raise the pups and sell them on well WHY cant she hold your pup till the right age then pass you the pup??
or is she going to sell them all at 3 weeks?? and no person who wants a nice healthy pup would buy them well hopefully they wouldnt as its still wrong!

if you still go ahead and get this pup to young then thats up to you but then i think you had already made up your mind before you posted on these boards
sorry if this sounds harsh im not mad at you its these so called owners that want to make a quick £ from there animals..and before you say it was a accident she could of easily had the pups terminated before things were to far advanceed

again sorry if i sound harsh its not aimed at you :):) but like someone said further up if it was ok to sell pups so early everyone would be taking them on

#17 ·
Have to agree with clairiscrazy.
I'm assuming you're not in the UK. We do not give heartworm treatments as a routine. Perhaps it is more common where you are for the pups to leave early, but it is far from ideal.
Vaccinations seem early, young pups still have a level of immunity passed on from the dam.
At 4 weeks they will start to be weaned, they will be learning about their own bodies, by 5 weeks they will be starting to play with litter mates and move around, albeit rather unco-ordinated, and will start exploring. By 6 weeks they will be almost weaned (although will probably still try it on with mum) and should be more coordinated.
At this point they can survive away from the dam. However, during weeks 7 and 8 they will be learning manners from their dam, and learning bite inhibition from/with their dam and littermates. They will be learning body language (to read and use), and generally becoming more co-ordinated.

#18 ·
New chocolate lab puppy info!!

Hi Kazil I wonder if at a later date you will regret getting this pup because I NEVER take a pup away from the breeder until 10-12 weeks. I think also I would not like to have yoour vet. Let us know what you decide. Bye for now, Brighteye.

#19 ·
I'm sorry Kazil, if your vet is happy then I really cannot understand it! 12 to 14 puppies is an extremely large litter and it's quite possible that the dam cannot supply enough milk for all. But by 3 weeks the weaning process should be under way so that is no longer the limiting thing. I would doubt though that the weaning process is complete so you can expect feeding problems.

Possibly the most important aspect though is that a puppy needs to 7 weeks to learn how to associate with other dogs in a normal manner. By 3 weeks its eyes wont have been open long enough to have hardly SEEN its litter mated let alone learned how to interact! I believe you are storing up big problems for the future.

This is NOT the way to go.

Regards, John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.