Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( hi all - well I am a first time Lab owner - just brought one home 48 hours ago. Well she is 10 1/2 weeks old, and we got her froma breeder, and her grandfather is a champion. BUT.... she had to go in the cage for the 1st time today for only a 1/2 hour and it was not good, crap all over the cage, the floor and all over herself. She tore up and made a mess of her brand new bed that we purchased, and whats worse is I haven't heard the story yet to know what my daughter is walking into after an hour and a half in the cage. She has already come to know the family, and I know they need a lot of attention. But really will only be by herself and hour to 2 Mon-Fri which isn't much. How do we train her to not go berzerk??? Help.

Thanks,

Dena

·
Registered
498 Posts
Don't know if you can train her not to - but it will take a little while for her to get used to being on her own. She will have been used to spending every waking minute romping with litter-mates up until now!

I've had my first Lab just 3 months, so others will be better equipped to advise - one tip I would give though, we used a cardboard box instead of a dog bed for the first few weeks. Brady thoroughly wrecked that - so I'm really glad I didn't spend lots of money on an expensive bed for him :lol:

Good luck with your pup - hope things calm down for you soon!

Rona

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Dena,

It is very early days yet, there are lots of new things to get used to, being left on your own one of them! She will need to go to the toilet alot for the first few months as they can not hold them selfs very long, i was constantly back and forth to the garden with ben. Like Rona said cardboard boxs are great, also how big is you dog crate? If they are to big they are more likely to go to toilet in them. Hopefully your get more advice from more members and goodluck with your new pup! :D

cristina & ben

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Dena
If she's only been with you 48hours, she's still very new to it all. The new bed is par for the course I'm afraid, like barleyjunior, I use a cardboard box and cut one side out, and put a blanket in. What conditions was her breeder keeping her in - ie was she kennelled, in the house, in a crate etc? When you say she went into her cage for the first time, have you been encouraging her to use it in the first couple of days? Have you been feeding her in the cage, have you hidden treats in there to find etc? Also, you say she messes in there, are you toilet training her? Do you take her out regularly when you are there? Had her breeder started training her? 10 1/2 weeks is quite late to leave, and the stage she is at now will depend on what her breeder has done with her.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dena,

It's does get better i promise you!.

I have had endless trouble with Rufus but one day to my amazement he had no accidents in the house and went a full 8 hours at night time without a sound.

I never used a crate to toilet train so i can't help you on that one but i wish i had used a box as a bed as Rufus is on his 3rd!

Good luck and speak soon

Rach :p

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi Dena

Make sure that you cut down the space in the cage so that your pup literally only has room to turn around. Dogs, or any animal come to that, will do their best to avoid messing on their lying area

Dont bother with a stuffed bed. I use a fleecy bedding material similiar to "Vet Bed" which i buy from EBay and cut to size, cheap but very good

Good luck with your new girl :)

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our puppy is same age and is also crated whilst out.

Hi,

nice to meet someone with same age pup!

We got Paddy at 7 weeks old. We bought a 42" crate and had a washable cushion at one end and a puppy mat at other. He had the run of the room but we gradually put him in his crate a few minutes each day to get him used to it. When he was out ( the majority of the day) we put 2 more puppy mats near his crate outside, which seemed to do the trick in the day.

At first, overnight, he made a real mess in his crate, sometimes it ended up through wire onto wall and over him, just like yours!! 8O

After a week it started to get better and we now just get the odd one at the end, though the last few days we haven't had any!

We still though have plenty of puddles in the house now he has more freedom!! We take him out about every 30 mins/ hour. No poo's in the house now, but sometimes he comes in from outside and wee's as soon as he comes in!!!! :( . Think I just have to remember his age!!

Regarding the crate, he cried all night the first and second night, then I lay downstairs with him just for the one night and it seemed to do the trick.
I took the advice from here, especially lablovers and fed him all his meals inside the crate and kept some nice toys in there. We're amazed now that he actually just wanders into there of his own accord when he's tired now!
Just wish he wouldn't wake up so early ay 6.00am :( !!

Hope it's going well, let us know!

Kathy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts