Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Here's my second emailing visit to the website.

Having lost my lovely Lacey at the beginning of February and having found the website by accident, I've tried to log on every other day at least. (Thanks to all those who sent their condolences). I've enjoyed all the discussions/stories and tips and especially the photos and it's made me realise how much I miss my best pal and I've realised that my life has been empty these past few weeks. So I've decided to get another one!!

After making quite a few enquiries from breeders in my area, I've gone back to the one who bred Lacey 14 years ago. She's still in business and by luck had a bitch who was the right age (I'm not in a position to take on a puppy) and is from the same lines as my Lacey. She's a beautiful two year old yellow girl (Lacey was black, but I thought a different colour would not make me feel as if I was trying to replace Lacey) and she's coming to me on Wednesday.

I can't wait to get back in the saddle again ! But I've got one problem, my new girl hasn't been in contact with cats before and I've got 3. They all loved Lacey to bits and Lacey loved them all right back. The breeder said not to worry, because she would be fine after a few days. Has anybody out there got any tips for me?

Lacey's mum

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Congratulation on getting another dog, when our dog died it was only 6 weeks before we just had to have another one, you miss not having one around. I have'nt really got any tips, but when we got Ben our cat was really put out and she avoided us for a week. She slowly came around and soon she had accerted her dominance over the Ben. They now get on quite well. Cats are alot tougher than you think, they'll soon put your new dog in its place. Knowing cats they'll probably have your new dog shaking in a corner :lol: Let us know how you get on and I hope it all goes smoothly.

Cristina

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi,

Sad to hear about your earlier loss, but glad about your forthcoming addition.

When we brought Shadow (now 7) home he too had never met a cat. but after gradually introducing them and making sure that Rosie always had a clear escape route, they get on like a house on fire - well most of the time! Rosie is definitely the boss and wastes no time in letting Shadow know if he's getting above his station!

I'm sure they'l get on well and provide you with plenty of entertainment!

Cheers,

Paul & Shadow

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
Welcome. So pleased you can now be the owner of another Labrador. It is always so difficult when you lose your friend. I am sure you have done the right thing by having another colour, and it is wonderful you have managed to get another dog from the same breeder.
Although your new dog has not been used to cats, she may surprise you and be perfectly OK. Even dogs that have lived with cats, will probably chase a new cat in a different house. Intoduce gently and supervise, but make sure your cats have a getaway, maybe to upstairs, and have a stairgate so that the dog cannot chase them You do need to be very careful of the cats scratching the dogs eyes. I am sure with a sensible approach everything will be fine. Just do not leave dog and cats alone to start with, they need to be kept an eye on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts