Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Bailey is 18 months old now and I’m considering whether or not to have him neutered. My brother has said that his vet is resistant to the process unless it’s for medical or behavioural reasons. I’ve also found documents on line that claim after research neutering can cause more medical problems than leaving them intact. This includes a 40% increase in getting prostate cancer. I had my previous dog done when he was 6 for medical reasons and Ace was already done when we got him from Dogs Trust. Bailey is generally well behaved so I’m wondering what other views are.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Freddie will be 3 next month, entire, no marking, no excess humping, no aggression, great with bitches (I have 2 spayed and 1 entire bitch at home), loving. I have no intention of relieving him of his Crown Jewels unless it’s medically necessary...plus his breeder would kill me if I did 🤣🤣

·
Administrator
21,293 Posts
Trouble is, as with so many American videos it's wildly over wordy! Many people, including myself will turn it off before reaching the end!

But again, very young neutering, often around 6 weeks old, started in America, and although a few vets advocate it here in the UK, far and away the bulk of vets dont advocate it.

Many of those of you in the UK will remember a TV program, researched and fronted by Jemima Harrison entitled, "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" I did quite a bit of research for her during the making of the program. She, being a Flatcoated Retriever person had a web based forum, "For the love of Flatcoats" and I was asked to post on it. Many people posting on it were in fact Americans so often the conversation centred around what was happening there. At that time the State of California was looking into bringing in a law that all puppies MUST be neutered before being sold on to their new owners, unless they were sold to a licensed breeding establishment. I was horrified, and said so. Much argument ensued over the ethics of it leading to me being called anti American! Totally untrue, but what I am is anti very early neutering and anti the people advocating it! I took the flack for just so long then emailed Jemima telling her I felt I could no longer post on her forum. I'm still friends with her and we still exchange emails, but she understands why I left her forum. Just to put this very early neutering into perspective, imagine neutering a 1 year old human child. NOBODY would advocate that, but because it is a dog some fool felt it was fine to try to enshrine it in law!

Thats my view and I stand by it.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
170 Posts
As @Maddie stated I would consider neutering only for observable behavioural problems.

Neutering would only slightly lower the incidence of late age benign prostate hyperplasia due to lower testosterone levels, but as @JohnW stated "if it ain't broken don't fix it".

My 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts