Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackson is now 14 months old and I have read a lot about neutering and have, more or less, decided that I do not really want him neutered.

This is presenting something of a problem as, sine losing Harvey in October, I had decided to adopt from a Labrador Rescue centre, however, it appears that Jackson not being neutered is a problem - I know that I cannot have an unneutered male or an unspayed female with Jackson - does anyone know of a rescue place who would let me have a neutered/spayed dog?

What does everyone thing regarding neutering - I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

Anna

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I always thought most rescue centres would spay/neuter before putting dogs up for adoption??

I considered not having Cooper neutered, but I've decided to do it after all. In terms of behaviour, he is fine, but like someone on here told me 'it's one less thing to worry about' :wink:
We've run into a couple of in-season bitches off lead in the parks near us and it is NOT a fun experience.
:evil:

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
A lot of rescues don't let dogs go to a home with an unneutered dog, as I have looked into it too. Cadbury is neutered, Merlin is not. In general I think neutering is the best option as long as you wait a sensible time frame. There is talk about early neutering affecting behaviour and growth, along with possible health issues. I can understand this and can see why it is advisable to led a dog mature before having the 'snip'. I think it is harder to have an entire bitch than an entire male, but then Merlin is a pretty good dog and listens to me even with an in-heat bitch turning his head.

Even so I notice when he has been in contact with a bitch in season. It does alter his behaviour and it has caused him to mark in the house (though only the cat's room). Because he is generally good we ride out these patches. I would not want to have to deal with that with Cadbury!

Having now had an intact male, it is not something I would want to do all the time. It brings its own set of complications. Merlin is a special case, normally I would say neuter for a dog that is not going to be bred.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had Alfie neutered at 7 months, the recommended time at my Vet's and have no regrets in doing it, or doing it that early.

It's not changed him in any way apart from he has never cocked his leg like most males I see. I guess it's because the hormones are not there to make him want to do it.

I didn't intend to breed him and he was starting to get a bit frisky around bitches (lol) whilst playing in the park, but now he's neutered he's much better and rarely ever mounts.

I think it's a personal preference for most people.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I find this really annoying. I will not get Lola spayed even after having a litter (hopefully) as she is at a slightly higher risk of spay incontinence. Does this make me irresponsible? or a less than desirable home for a rescue dog? There is always research that can show most things but there is plenty that shows that leaving your dog intact is at the very least not detrimental to their health and behaviour and may even be beneficial.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just wondering why the rescue won't let you have a dog if you have an entire male. Both my boys are entire and the only problem we have had is with neutered males that are aggressive towards them. Neither of my dogs excessively mark, mount, or chase other dogs. We were advised against neutering our older boy as he's such a softie. We haven't decided on the younger boy, he's eighteen months now and fairly well behaved.
I can understand not letting you rescue an entire female but can't see a problem with neutered dogs or entire boys.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
katieb said:
I find this really annoying. I will not get Lola spayed even after having a litter (hopefully) as she is at a slightly higher risk of spay incontinence. Does this make me irresponsible? or a less than desirable home for a rescue dog? There is always research that can show most things but there is plenty that shows that leaving your dog intact is at the very least not detrimental to their health and behaviour and may even be beneficial.
Not spaying increases the risk of unwanted pregnancy, phantom pregnancy, mastitis, mammary tumours and pyometra. The risk of spay incontinence reduces if the bitch is allowed to have one or more seasons prior to being spayed.

There are arguments for and against, you just have to weigh up what is right for you and your dog.

The main reason that there are so many dogs in rescues is from irresponsible breeding and a neutered male can still get a bitch pregnant months after his operation so it is safer all around if rescues make a blanket rule. Smaller rescues might be willing to bend the rules if you can argue your case sensibly.

I had always planned to have Coco spayed but the decision was taken out of my hands when she got pyometra after her first season.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Homer is 17 months and not neutered. When he was younger, less than a year we went through a patch of humping, mostly other boys but he would have done that anyway at that age. He is showing signs of calming down and growing out of his teenage years. He was come across the occasional female dog in season but hasn't taken much notice.

If at anytime his behaviour became a persistent problem, and that could not be corrected by training I'd get him done. He went through a phase of jumping up at me during agility and has done the same to Peter when he wants to okay ball, but a bit of firm telling off has solved this. At the time I was told he was a dominant dog and that all male labs should be neutered. Yes he has his stroppy moments and can be persistent for attention but that's just him, when he's not being all soppy and curled up in a ball next to me.

?

·
0 Posts
Cheshanna said:
Jackson is now 14 months old and I have read a lot about neutering and have, more or less, decided that I do not really want him neutered.

This is presenting something of a problem as, sine losing Harvey in October, I had decided to adopt from a Labrador Rescue centre, however, it appears that Jackson not being neutered is a problem - I know that I cannot have an unneutered male or an unspayed female with Jackson - does anyone know of a rescue place who would let me have a neutered/spayed dog?
You have to do what YOU think is the right thing for your dog and if you think it's best to leave him entire, then leave him entire and don't allow yourself to be dictated to by anyone. You know your boy and your situation best.

I'm sure there will be a Rescue out there somewhere who will allow you a spayed bitch or a castrated dog, regardless of whether your boy still has his bits or not. I'm sure there must be some rescues who don't have such inflexible blanket policies which prevent getting good homes for their dogs. It might just be a case of phoning around a few and actually talking to someone there. It might also be a case of thinking about taking on a breed or cross which isn't a full Lab.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I can understand it's disappointing when you decide you want to offer a dog a nice home, feel you can and then get turned down by a rescue. Been there in the past, for different reasons.

I can also understand why a rescue will have certain policies and even if it's not something you agree with, they will have formed them after being involved in rescue and deciding what works best for them.

It is of course up to you if and when you neuter. I don't know who you have tried already (and I'm not asking you to name), but you could try a few other places to see if they have the same policies. You mention a Lab rescue centre. I don't know if you mean a breed rescue or a rescue centre that happens to rehome a lot of Labs, alongside other breeds. I don't know what breed rescue policies are, but you could try some if you haven't already.

Personally, I would always want to neuter a dog/bitch rather than leaving them entire, but we are all able to make our own decisions. I don't consider that the rescue is dictating what you should do with your own dog, but stating what their policies are, should you wish to adopt from them.

Katie, I'd personally rather take the risk of some urinary incontinence (which I haven't so far experienced in any of my spayed bitches, but for which there are various treatment options) than be faced with say a serious and potentially fatal pyometra emergency in an older bitch.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My two are not. But the local farmers two girlies are in season and roam free. Alfie was up at 6am panting, whining and barking.

Castration was nearly performed on the spot with a dull butter knife :evil:

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
ALL rescue's will have policies, they have to have them in place, but some are more flexible than others when it comes to certain things.

Neutering and Spaying is something that ALL rescues will advocate and do, Breed rescue is often different as 9 times out of 10 they rehome direct from the current home to the new one and therefore the dogs doesn't actually come 'into' the rescue, however the adoption policy with clearly state that dogs should be spayed/neutered within 6 months or after the season and you have to provide proof from the vet that this has been done.

?

·
0 Posts
Littlelab said:
Neutering and Spaying is something that ALL rescues will advocate and do,
I can fully understand why they would want all the dogs which pass through their hands neutered, but I still can't see why some penalise perfectly good owners who haven't neutered their own animals. I see no reason why a spayed bitch or a neutered dog can't live with an entire boy (or girl as the case maybe), after all they won't be able to reproduce together.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was told by one rescue centre that I could not have a spayed bitch because Jackson would still 'play' (their word not mine) with her and it wouldn't be fair on her

?

·
0 Posts
Cheshanna said:
I was told by one rescue centre that I could not have a spayed bitch because Jackson would still 'play' (their word not mine) with her and it wouldn't be fair on her
Because of course, castrated dogs and other bitches never "play" (Hump in other words) with other dogs do they :roll: . Maybe someone should have told my Twoee (AKA Mrs Humpsalot) that one.

I do wonder if some rescue centres set their bar so high they never find homes for their dogs. You get a lot of that with Cat Rescues. One around here has over 60 cats living in sheds/garages, etc, in horrid, dark, cramped conditions, yet to have to jump through hoops and be able to do a double back somersault if you want to give one a good home :roll: .

They throw such a bad light on all the other rescues too, because many people will try one or two rescues, get told of these rules, so think ALL rescues are the same (which they aren't), then don't bother trying any others.

Keep searching. The right dog is out there, from the right rescue. You just haven't found him/her yet :wink:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts