Labradors Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my 18 month lab was neutered 5 days ago and recovery is not as expected. Basically his sack has ballooned in size and causing some discomfort when sitting. He is happy in himself though and leaving it alone, but the vet said it’s a rare side effect of a hematoma. So far he is on loxicom and no antibiotics (as precaution but not infected). They were going to try and put a pressure bandage on but it just isn’t possible.
Has anyone else experienced this and how long has recovery been?

·
Administrator
21,598 Posts
That does sometimes happen. What happens is that when the vet operates there are a number of blood vessels, the major ones are tied off and the minor ones cauterised. In the case of my Dalmatian one of the ties came adrift and he was dripping blood all over the floor. It was so serious that the vet had to re-admit him, open him up and retie the vein. Sound in your case that is a minor blood vessel slightly leaking which your vet is expecting heal without further need too pen him up again. Believe me, if it was a major one he would not have gone 5 days! My Dalmatian was dripping within 3 hours!

But whatever, the sack always takes a time to disappear. The surplus skin has to contract.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts