Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasper was already here when the kittens arrived and has been nothing but the perfect gentleman with them, sharing his food and sleeping with them even playing with them. Now the kittens (cats) are a year old and we have Nettle who is 13 weeks. The cats have no fear of dogs as they are used to Jasper and when Nettle is asleep come and rub round her and sit by her. She just wants to play I know but her playing involves grabbing Floppy by the tummy in her mouth and dragging him around (Floppy does not seem too concerned by this, hence the name Floppy kitten) and then chasing him. The chasing does bother him. I have distracted her and told her NO and then rewarded her when she does not chase him. I am just wondering though how much the cats are bothered, her arrival hasn't stopped them coming down they just box her ears and run when she gets too much. Should I keep stepping in or leave them to sort it out for themselves, she does let go if they bop her one. Jasper is horrified at such carrying ons.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Bruce can get l little boisterous with my youngest cat but she does take great pleasure in teasing him then jumping out out of reach of him or giving him a swipe on the nose and he has very quickly learned she is the boss . I personally didn't intervene and they quickly sorted it out between themselves but I would if Bruce was grabbing one of the cats in his mouth . Good luck

Claire x

?

·
0 Posts
I miss my big Ginger Tom Monty, as he used to sort out any puppies (or big dogs, he didn't care) who came here for me. This lot of cats are all pretty daft and they let the dogs do what they like, so I tend to end up doing most of the correcting myself.

Monty was brilliant (and huge), he would let the pups have a lick and perhaps even a chew of him, but the moment they stepped over the boundary, he would sink one claw into their ear flap (so they couldn't get away) then smack them repeatedly around the chops with the other paw, whilst using foul language and expelling hot cat breath in their faces. I never had one dog go back for the Monty Treatment :lol: :lol: .

If your cats are dafties, then you'll have to be careful they don't get hurt, as the daft floppy ones tend to put up with too much before even mentioning it's hurting. If I still had Monty, I'd say you could borrow him, but sadly he went to the Great Mouse Hunting Grounds in the Sky.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My oldest cat Mia is the tough one in this house . The youngest tends to be the one that does all the walloping and teasing and that's the one Bruce plays with . Mia doesn't need to wallop or hiss because no one would dare mess with her :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooo Monty sounds a force to be reckoned with, yes I would of borrowed him in a shot. I think I will have to keep a close eye on them, hope they find there pecking order and sort it out. Poor Jasper looks so worried when they are chasing each other poor lad, he is such a nice boy.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Pusskins adopted us after the boys were pts. He is definitely the boss with Poppy, knows where he can squeeze and Poppy won't fit! We did have a phase when he was really nasty to her, would rear on his back legs, bare his teeth and attack. In the end we were worried he would hurt her so took him to the vet. After examining him she couldn't find anything wrong but gave him some tranquilisers. These, along with picking him up and putting him outside every time he went into nasty mode seemed to cure him. We have had an odd occasion when he has forgotten his manners but a sharp 'no' and putting him outside has sorted him out.

Susan and Poppy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts