Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took Nellie to the vets. She's had dirty ears on and off for a few weeks but no odour and no shaking/scratching.

Yesterday I noticed one was particularly icky, cleaned it and sure enough it was back looking vile this morning so took her in.

The vet agreed it was likely an infection so she had a jab and has some drops for a week.

Then she looked in the other and says really far down there is something black, possible foreign body,possible infection starting/finishing. She said she could flush it but we agreed to see if it's an infection and clears first

I mentioned the ongoing ickiness of her ears and her forever scratchy tummy (which I thought was from hair growth) and the vet thinks it may be an allergy. I'm hoping it's an ear infection :?

So vet looks at her tummy, but then notices her vulva has a bright yellow/green discharge and is worried about that :( . Felt her womb and said it felt ok but I have to take her back in 48 hours if the discharge is still there.
Vet has suggested half a piriton a day for itchiness and evening primrose oil in her food to help.

Then last but not least Nellie has a lump on her hock, at first I thought it was a bite but then thought it looked more like a hystiocytoma - vet agrees but we decided not to do a fine needle aspiration and to just keep an eye on it and see if it goes down.

Oh and to top it off she's not put on any weight in a fortnight :( so my switch to JWB from Beta has not achieved what I'd hoped so far.

So all in all, nothing major wrong but lots of niggly things for my ickle puppy. I just hope they all turn out as 'nothings'. My little pumpkin is such a good girlie and i feel so sorry for her with all her itching and scratching.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
aww poor Nellie,do hope its just an infection in her other ear.
My sisters lab was put on a wheat free diet due to reoccuring ear infections and general itchiness....after 6 mths the food did nothing...And funnily enough since changing back to her previous food she has had no trouble t all...lol

G

·
Poor Nellie!! Still at least you got your moneys worth at the vets! All those things checked in one consultation!!

Hope all her niggly problems are better soon!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Poor Nellie :( it is rotten seeing them not quite right isn't :( Maybe it is her food but I hope she is feeling all better soon, my late Roly had allergies (to just about everything), she was on anti-hestimmaines and steroid injection and it kept it at bay very well

Sending {{{{feel better}}}} vibes for your girl Sarah :) and I hope she is feeling better soon

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sisters lab was put on a wheat free diet due to reoccuring ear infections and general itchiness....
I don't know anything about allergies really, if they are allergic to wheat is it just eating it or can it be a contact allergy too, ie walking through it?

Nellies itching has been barely noticeable the last few weeks but then really seems to have come back with a vengeance from the middle of last week (along with some more belly hair growth so I assumed again it was that).I'm hoping for no allergy at all and if it is then not a food related one, maybe grass seeds or corn from walking in the fields.

I just really hope it's not an allergy they are so pesky to identify and avoid aren't they?
Her skin *looks* fine, but she is very sensitive, her entire underside is one giant tickle spot that you only need to touch any part of to get her legs going.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Basil said:
My sisters lab was put on a wheat free diet due to reoccuring ear infections and general itchiness....
I don't know anything about allergies really, if they are allergic to wheat is it just eating it or can it be a contact allergy too, ie walking through it?

Nellies itching has been barely noticeable the last few weeks but then really seems to have come back with a vengeance from the middle of last week (along with some more belly hair growth so I assumed again it was that).I'm hoping for no allergy at all and if it is then not a food related one, maybe grass seeds or corn from walking in the fields.

I just really hope it's not an allergy they are so pesky to identify and avoid aren't they?
Her skin *looks* fine, but she is very sensitive, her entire underside is one giant tickle spot that you only need to touch any part of to get her legs going.
I don;t know about walking through it, my sisters lab was never in contact with it.
I'll ask my sis later if she noticed anything else during that time, i can;t remember off the top of my head. But i do know that vet didn;t do any testing, they started with thr wheat free as starting point.

G

·
Awww Poor Nellie Noo :( .

Is she actually scratching at her belly or only when you rub it, as a lot of dogs do the "Can Can" because they are ticklish. Pickle is one big tickle spot but she has lovely clear healthy skin and doesn't scratch at any other time, so I guess she is just more ticklish than some others.

then notices her vulva has a bright yellow/green discharge and is worried about that
Got to say most of my baby girlies have had this to some degree. I wouldn't worry about it unless the discharge is smelly, profuse, or unless she seems ill/in pain. All of my girls have grown out of it after the first few months and it hasn't caused any problems. TBH I thought it was pretty "Normal" for them to have some sort of juvenile discharge. If it isn't normal then it must be extremely common and innocent.

Not putting on weight, ear infections and possible itchiness could indicate an intollerance to something in her food. Did you go for a similar flavour JWB to the Beta, as it maybe the meat content and not the wheat/maize she is reacting to. My friends GSD couldn't tollerate Chicken or Turkey, which is odd as it's the thing most recommended for sensitive dogs....Once she was switched to a fish based food, she was a lot better.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Awww pooor little Nellie

Hope its just a rash of minor issues and nothing serious Sarah....

Though the combination does sound a bit like a food intolerance - was she ok on the Beta???

Hope she's all better soon

Eve

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
poor Nellie - that sounds like an accumulation of irritations rather than anything major. Hope you can find the cause of them and get her back to tip-top form!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is she actually scratching at her belly or only when you rub it,
No she's scratching her belly and her legs and her neck...in fact anywhere she can reach but mostly her belly. It seems like every time i look at her she is stood on 3 legs scratching away - then as soon as she's done she swops legs and does the other side.
I timed her scratching her neck the other day and it went on for 90 seconds 8O that's some itch!
So far she's been done with advocate, but i'm going to frontline her next time just to see if it could be that.

TBH I thought it was pretty "Normal"
So did I from what i've read on here. I did say to the vet that she's had green discharge before on and off, although this mornings was almost illuminous yellow.

Beta is chicken and rice (I think, maybe turkey?) and the JWB is lamb but largely the same ingredients tbh - I was just hoping the JWB might help with weight gain as the beta just seems to go straight through with 6 piles of poop a day :lol:

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Poor little Nellie! :(

I hope it all clears up soon and doesn't work out to be anything much.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Though the combination does sound a bit like a food intolerance - was she ok on the Beta???
She's been scratchy since 8 weeks Eve, but I would say we'd had a better period maybe from 12-15 weeks (guessing!)
She's been on beta since weaning and then i swopped her over to JWB about a fortnight ago gradually so it's probably only been a week on it fully.
I really thought it was her belly hair coming through as when you look she has this soft pink puppy belly and then these coarse black hairs sprouting :lol:

I REALLY hope it's not a food intolerance and will be crossing my fingers it all disappears.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Only just caught up with this Sarah. Poor itchy little girl.

I remember Poppy having a discharge at around the same age, but it turned out to be nothing and was, I was told, quite common. As Jules says, the time to worry is if it has an offensive smell or she seems to have some discomfort.

Did you change to JWB because of the amount of poo per day or had she already stopped putting on weight with the Beta? I've got Martha on the Beta large breed puppy food and it reduced the amount of poo. You obviously don't want to keep changing her food but if there's some sort of food intolerance you won't really have a choice.

It does sound rather like some sort of allergy, but I hope for Nellie's sake it's just an ear infection that can be quickly and successfully dealt with.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts