Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nellie sits beautifully for it, lets me gently fill her lug with the cleanser, give it a good massage and swish around - we're meant to leave it for 30 minutes but I haven't yet managed to clicker train her holding her head on one side for that long!!! ( :eek: what was the vet thinking, doesn't he know dogs *need* to shake? ).

So then I swop to do the other ear and slurp! slurp! slurp! .....Basil moves in to finish massaging and rinsing the first ear :lol:

Nellies tail thumps in delight at this :lol:

I'm starting to wonder if his tongue in her ears may be more effective than this clanser stuff anyway.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I always think cleaning dog's ears is a two man job, so Basil is obviously just trying to help his Mum, bless him. What a good girl Nellie is too: Alfie has an ear infection at the moment and acts like I'm about to beat him with a large stick when he sees me getting the ear drops out. He runs off to cower in a corner, trembling :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Are you sure it isn't swill around for 30seconds rather than minutes? I'm pretty sure that's what Luna's said and that was IMPOSSIBLE enough!!! :roll:

It must taste yummy for Basil to be licking!!! :lol:

How are all of Nellie's niggly things working through now?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alfie has an ear infection at the moment and acts like I'm about to beat him with a large stick when he sees me getting the ear drops out. He runs off to cower in a corner, trembling
Have you tried doing it at meal times? I prep Nellies dinner, so she's right with me a quick bish bash of the drops and then her bowl goes down....she has no interest in messing around at dinner time :lol:
We've finishged the drops and now with the cleansing just to get the last of the gunk out.

Laura, Nellies niggles are slowly fading I think. We managed to dodge a GA and ear flush and having had swobs to show no infection. She had a FNA taken to see what the lump on her hock is and we've got a fortnights wait now to see, but i'm not too worried about it tbh.
Oh and she's still dinky but put on 800g last week so we're now heading in the right direction at least :D

Re the cleansing, yes it is 30minutes, I presume because there's a lot of gunk down there, the vet told me and it says it on the label too. I don't have to massage for the whole 30minutes but I'm meant to keep her head tilted to keep it in for 30mins and then wash out with a cotton ball and warm water. In reality i massage it for a minute, she shakes, then half an hour later I rinse any remaining with water, if Basil hasn't done that bit first :lol:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He should have been a Mum really.
:lol:

Sarah - we didn't have the GA :p , I took her in all empty tummed at 8.30 and said I really wanted the vet to have another good look as 2 days had passed and they did seem better and at 9.30 the vet called to say he'd looked and agreed a flush seemed un-necessary just yet as they weren't redo or inflamed....so we just have some ear washing for a week and then ear washing after each swim to help dry her ears :)
I won't be seeing the female vet again :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts