Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, 8)

Just needed to get on here and chat to other lab lovers, I feel terrible and I am worrying about my Buddy boy. It was awful leaving him at the vets today, as I was discussing the risks with anaesthetic to the nurse poor Bud was behind me all the time, peeking round at the nurse. When it was time to go, he did NOT want to go with her, Bud proceeded to sit down trying hard to grip the slippery floor pulling against the nurse. :( I left at this point as I think it was making him worse with me being there.

I couldn't believe it I started welling up when I got to the car, how sad am I for goodness sake! :cry:

Have many of you got your male dogs neutered and at what age did you have them done?

From a worrying lab mum!

Tracy :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bud will be fine. I cant begin to imagine how difficult it is to go through this - we'll need to do similar in about a year and I dread the day.

You're not sad ....Bud is just very lucky to have a mom who loves him so much !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Milo for your reassuring words, I have to wait until 2pm before I can ring and check how he is!

I'm sure he'll be fine too........I came into work today to keep my mind off of him.....as you can see I'm working hard and not thinking about him at all! :wink:

Cheers

Tracy :)

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hope Buddy gets on ok after his 'snip'!

We're not getting Corbie neutered, but I was the same when I took one of my parents' dogs for an op to have one of his toes removed once... I hated signing THAT form! I came out blubbing away and did the same when Corbie went to the vets recently as he'd swallowed a sponge and the vets were only making his vomit! :lol: I'm a worrying mum as well :wink:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Tracy,

Good to see you here, and days like today make this site invaluable to us all.

Firstly, you are not sad at all......I blubbed all the way home and couldn't concentrate on anything all day.

Tilly was spayed at 7 months, I booked it at a time I knew she would have 24/7 care afterwards ie: I had no appointments or need to leave her. Clearly not a boy but end result the same eh?

But, the actual day was pure purgatory, so I know how you are feeling........but Buddy will be fine, in the best hands, and you will get the call to collect him before you know it :wink:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was the same! Got my boys neutered in Jan at 2yrs 9mnths old.
They cried when I left them and I had taken the day off to prepare all the chicken and rice I could, to put a comfy bed for them etc.

The nurse called me at 1pm to say come and fetch them because they were being too noisey! When I got them they were full of beans and happy as can be. Got them home and tried to get them to rest - no luck. they tried to jump in the garden etc but they realised they couldnt.

Then they were so hungry but werent allowed to eat until later. I fed them little bits of chicken. George was the worst. He wouldnt drink anything! Worried me so much. But a couple of hours sleep and they were up again and eating their rice and chicken. Only later that night did George finally drink. After that they were basically normal. Just try not to let him lick the wound. Charlie licked it too much and it took longer to close up. Clean the wound with warm water and cotton wool.

They bounce back so perfectly. I battled to keep them still for 10days!! We feel so bad for doing it but its for their benefit and they may lick the area with those eyes that make you feel guilty but it doesnt change a thing, they dont appear to care.

Your baby will be back bouncing about shortly!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi tracey

bud will be just fine they neuter dogs every single day try not to worry to much...we got charlie done at just over 2 but then he was a rescue dog so we would of got him done about 1yr i think....

as for not wanting to go in brandy my female lab had to have a op to remove 3 huge cyts from her neck my hubby took her and when it came to handing her over to the nurse brandy lost all control of her bowels and wet and pooed all over the floor she was shaking like a leaf my hubby refused to let her go into the vets room in the state she was in so they kindly let him walk brandy into a quiet room and they gave her a sedative with ian holding her then when she was sleeping ian left..he was in tears when he got home as he felt so guilty..lol. im so glad is wasnt me or i would of been bawlingme eyes out there and then..lol..

they dont half pull at your heart strings..lol..

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi tracy
we're all here for you with plenty of coffee and tissues. all the pups on the site have an awful lot of "aunts and uncles" who care as much as mums and dads. so let us know as soon as you hear anything.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Tracy,

It's because we love our labs so much, that we get ourselves into a real worry whenever anything like this happens, but you're not alone in that respect. I'm sure your boy will be absolutely fine, and they will take good care of him. He'll be pleased to see you when you pick him up, and i'm sure he will be his happy self in no time at all.

We are getting our lab Bradley neutered in 5 weeks time, so i'm sure we will be feeling exactly as you are feeling today. (He will be 1 yr 2 mths old)

Time will pass quickly, and he'll be home before you know it, a lot of us are online today so i'm sure we can keep you occupied chatting in the forums. :wink:

All the best, try not to worry.

Julie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh God, I've just read all the posts and I am sat at my computer trying to hide the tears from my work colleagues....they don't have dogs so they wouldn't understand! :wink:

It is so nice having the support from you all and that I am not alone.....once I started reading the goose bumps started then the tears.......I'm up and down like a yo yo today! :)

I know its a routine op but its THAT blumin form you have to sign, I know we have to but blimey what responsibility!

Only two hours and I can phone!

Speak again soon!!!!

Tracy x

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Tracey!

Buddy will be absolutely fine - when I dropped Charlie off to he neutered he cried when the nurse took him away and I cried all the way home - I was like a restless Mother all morning until I could call to see he was ok, when they told me he was fine it was such a great feeling!! :lol:

The cuddle that he gave us when we picked him up made it worth it - and he has since been back to the vets and not been afraid which is good!

Charlie and Izzie send Buddy lots of get well kisses! :lol:

Sarah

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Tracy,

Know what you mean about non dog people..........I had similiar situation once and they look at you as if to say ' It's only a dog ' ........ :evil:

Makes you cross and, for me, changed my opinion of them too, only further proof that the ' more people I meet - the more I love my dog ! '

To be fair, there are those that do have compassion but as you say, having never owned dogs, don't understand the depth of our feelings.

I heard on the radio the other day that when asked, a huge percentage of people would take the day / days of work to care for poorly dog or vet days but wouldn't do the same for their husband...... :wink: :lol: :lol:
I rest my case M'lord :wink:

Chin up :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Tracy,

Don't worry we're all the same :D I was like you and Harvey only went in for an x-ray!! :lol:

He will be fine :D and think of the big hug you can give him when you see him!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I even had to sign THAT form when Corbie was being made to vomit up his sponge :lol:

Let us know when all is done and you can go and collect your boy.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi....

Totally understanble you being so worried...we all are the same.....But neutring is so common....don;t worry buddy boy will be the bubbly himself soon....

Regards

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its me again, an hour to go! Can't wait for my cuddles! :)

Isn't it amazing how we all get so attached to our doggies, I wouldn't be with out them! My boss asked if I was alright today as I'm a bit quiet...I explained Buddys fate and the worry I was suffering, I knew he'd understand as he is a Lab lover too.....told me about his bitch when she was spayed and how she made him feel bad...its those lab eyes they get you every time! :wink:

I have to say I'm soooo glad I've joined this forum! God only knows what I'd be like without you guys.

Shall let you know when I can go and get him! Be a relief to get him home!!!!

Thanks again for all your words of wisdom and support.

Tracy x
:p

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Buddy will be back with you in no time, it's so hard leaving them at the vets.
The only time my dog had to have an anesthetic i got staying with them until the sedative had taken effect, and i cried so much the vet let me out the back door to save me upsetting the other people who were sitting waiting.

Thinking about you & Buddy

Margaret

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Tracy

Not long now before you can phone about Buddy :)

I'm sure he will be fine,it's a worry though as I was the same when Buster had to go in for the day to have an x-ray.

Kev

1 - 20 of 53 Posts