Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby managed to catch her inner ear on a rose bush in the garden yesterday and caused a tear about 3cm long! One minute it seems to clot and the next it is bleeding again, not helped when she shakes her head ! I really don't want to visit the vet tomorrow and hand over my money for something I think can be dealt with at home.
I think it needs something like super glue to bind it together and act like new skin.

Any recommendations ??

Chloe

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm afraid only experience I have of this is via a good friend (who also has a lab called Ruby)
His other lab got bit on the ear -- not nice and every time he shook his head it made the house look like a slasher movie!
Stitches were only remedy

I did say what about a sock over the ear but doubt that would last long without an elastic band etc but I'd be concerned about circulation then

Sorry!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When Merlin got a badly bitten ear the vets put a pressure bandage on it which we managed to keep on for about three hours before it slipped but it had stopped the bleeding. I use super glue type skin closure at work, you have to be very careful how it's applied, I'm not sure if it would be suitable because of the hairs. You could try a thick coat of Vaseline after stopping the bleeding with pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the wound has finally stopped bleeding but not without splattering drips all over the house first :roll:

I decided to put a little piece of micropore tape over it which has helped and it is beginning to heal, although I found a small piece of thorn in it today which is why it hadn't healed completely.

On recommendation from my local Moles Country Store who are a saviour when it comes to free veterinary advice, I am also using Hypocare which is a non-toxic, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral solution which is good for flushing and cleaning wounds, sore skin patches and fungal infections! It can be used on any animal from guinea pig to horse. I have always used Hibiscrub before for wound cleaning but have found it quite toxic and would rather use something which is safer.

Chloe

C

·
0 Posts
Scatty said:
What about spray plaster?
That stuff is EVIL!! It really burns. I used it on a graze oncd and it hurt more than the time I sliced my finger down to the bone and had fo have if, stiched and glued at a&e

C

·
0 Posts
I have used bloodstop powder before and found that really effectice on small cuts. I have used it on myself too! its about £5 a pot and you just dab a tiny bit on with a cotton bud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts