Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my partner and I are going on hols in Aug 2009 and we are looking for someone to look after our little lab Trigger for just under 2 weeks in their own home. He has stayed in a kennel before but we would prefer him to stay in a nice secure friendly home as he loves his home comforts. He is only 20 months old so still really a puppy and needs a lot of attention and care and loves to play. He can be a handful at times but is such a happy and good natured boy. We need someone with a big secure garden and who doesn't live near any main roads as we worry about him loads!! Can anyone help or do you know of anybody?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Wish i could help. Hope you find somewhere. I hate the thought of kennels. I did that for a weekend last year with Gixer. I spent the whole weekend worrying about him.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Not sure whereabouts Hawkinge is, but have you tried asking your vet/other local dog walkers/dog trainers etc. if they can recommend a dog sitter? I'm not sure how much the price varies in comparison to kennels.

There is someone on here who has a dog boarding business I think but I can't remember her username or location - I'm sure someone else will though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I dont know anyone, but do you get a local paper which advertises local businesses? We do and there is usually about 3/4 people in there which advertise this sort of thing.
Molly went in kennels for 3weeks in the summer and she loved it!

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
It will help to get recommendations of trustworthy pet sitters if you posted the area you live in (roughly as in county not your address obviously ) :wink:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Although when i go away i take my dogs with me, i wouldn't personally leave my dog with anyone for a longish holiday ---- as much as i don't like kennels - they are by the nature of things SECURE - and i know of people whose dogs have gone missing when being walked by people when they are away.......

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I have to agree with Kaladancer, only now at almost 3 years (sob, where did that go :( ) would I trust my 'handful' to be safe in someone elses home .......even then it would have to be a fellow lab owner and i'd leave them with a long list of his 'quirks' :oops:

Not all petsitters are 'doggy people' IMO.

August is some way away, why not check out the kennels and book a space as a back up and then in the meantime road test some petsitters.....or come along to a few labfroums GT's make some friends and hey presto you're problem might be solved :)

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
I'm with kaladancer too.

Not what the OP wants but...
If it was a real necessity I'd use a local kennels I know of but to me it's like leaving your kids at the orphanage.
I couldn't leave them with someone from an 'agency' or anyone I don't really know well enough.
As Basil says, I'd want someone who knows Labs (my Labs) and wasn't doing it just as a business.

As far as holidays go, I don't go anywhere dogs can't go. That means I don't go abroad anymore but I realised and accepted that before I got the kiddies.

My opinion and I know some won't agree. Each to their own.

:D

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
If you don't like the idea of kennels and your own garden is secure why not look for someone who can come and live in your house while you are away? I've seen this lot advertised but never used them (well I live in France so wouldn't ! LOL! But I have a house sitter myslef and it's fab!)

http://www.animalaunts.co.uk/

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Tarka goes to kennels, there is no way I could trust him to behave in someone else's house. (Glad to see this might get better by the time he is three though Sarah!)

We have several kennels round here but there is only one that I would send Tarka to. They are fabby, lots of staff and lots of off lead walks in their own secure acres. But if I couldnt get him in there I probably wouldnt go. Only downside is the cost, they are the best and the most expensive!

So go and check out the ones in your area, there may be one that is as fabby as ours!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
:D :D :D
if you were more local i could help you.......i have been looking after other peoples dogs in our home for 11 years now and my 2 labs love the visitors....
good luck i hope you find someone nice local to you who will appreciate having trigger to stay. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts