Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are going to scream reading this saying you stupid woman, but hear goes, had to share as I am still in shock this morning.

Last night hubby was working and me and the dogs went down to mother in laws as we usually do three or four times a week (she is 87 and housebound). Following our visit we came out of the house to lock the door, (big bit of grass in front of the house before reaching car which is off main road), Tess starting barking and took off at 100 mile an hour towards a collie dog on the otherside of the road (not main road, but still a road) and before I could grab Tara she took off as well with me screaming at them both to stop (maybe screaming in hindsight was wrong). Well they got to the Collie (who was totally under control, and the owner was very nice and understanding) and just wagged their tails wanting to play. I got to them both got them into the car (they new, both heads down after having such a row, no violence or hitting used) then I just burst into tears having thought of what could have been. This is the very first time either of them have done such a thing, Tara obviously just tagged on to what was happening.

Tess just takes the **** out of me and would not have even looked at the other dog if her dad had been there but by his side, I obviously cannot control her although out on a walk this morning I recalled her out of the woods when I wanted her to come and not when she did and kept her at heel a few times going on our walk, which I admit she responded to. I probably give her too much freedom living in the country as she is not a lead dog and mother in law lives in small village but she will be on a lead when leaving mother in laws from now on.

My hubby can walk miles along a river bank, TEss will look at him to ask if she can have a swim, then goes or doesnt if he say no, but with me no matter how hard I shout or say no she's in whether I want her to or not.

sorry for long post but still really upset, the problem is with me and not the dog :cry:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience, I had a similar one with Hope when she needed the loo en route to the stud dogs - she didn't cross the road - but managed to get past me and onto the bank where I was able to grab her - your immedate response is to screem though - and I know only too well how much if shakes you up.

I would say though, this is the very type of example I cite when people say, oh I never walk my dog on a lead - if you are near or on a main road - it is the LAW to keep your dog on a lead - however good you think they are, they are dogs, and the unexpected can and does happen, and if they cause an accident YOU are liable.

If anyone had told me before then Hope would manage to jump out of the car past me I would never have believed it - now - car journeys are managed in a completely different way if there is ever any need to get them out near a road.

No tips on dealing with the 'she listens to the OH' situation - sorry

Hope you are feeling better now - take a large brandy and a deep breath and try not to think what could have been, it wasn't - and hopefully it won't ever happen again :D

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Its good to rant, better out than in I say :)

Don't be so hard on yourself. Dogs do take the P. Its part of the beauty of them thinking breathing beings with a will of there own. Lets face it you wouldn't want them to be automaton. Anyone that has a dog that hasn't experience it taking the P is either a liar liar pants on fire or has lived a damn boring life!

Big stiff cup of tea and the adrenaline will settle.

These dogs!!!! Sent to try us!!! :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself, as the others have said, these things do happen. Even if you have the most beautifully obedient dogs they are still creatures with minds of their own and every now and again are going to do things like this. Sometimes the thrill of the chase is just too much I think and once they are locked into their target it is very hard to cut through the red mist! I can imagine how upsetting it must have been though, it really does shake you up when these things happen, but they are ok and the worst didn't happen, so give them an extra big hug and chalk it up to another of the many things our dogs do to keep us on our toes.

G

·
Hey....As the other's have said, these things happen. She's a DOG not a ROBOT and as such has a brain of her own. :wink:

My goodness if I have a pound for everytime I've said "Oh they don't do that" and then they DO :roll: ..... Or "They've never done that before" :wink: :lol: and I consider my dogs to have a good bond with me......Yet they still pull the odd bunny out of the hat, just to surprise and delight me 8O :wink: .

Perhaps a few more walks with Tess alone, perhaps a bit more training with just her and you'll feel more confident in your ability to control her. As for her looking lovingly at your OH.....My Lurcher was like that, she was under his spell the moment she set eyes on him and that's just the way it goes sometimes. :wink:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
how lucky to have a warning of what could have happened

please put your dogs on leads anywhere near a road .............. and work on recall and stop in a safe area

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies, very helpful and yes it wont happen again I'm going home to get Tess on my own in the field where I will try stop start recalling, but need distractions so I can stop her, any ideas??? I've been very lucky this time but yes she will be put on a lead within sniffing distance of a road from now on, I suppose you learn the hard way. Thanks again everyone, adrenaline now settled.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
kaladancer said:
how lucky to have a warning of what could have happened
I was thinking the same.

It must have been a big shock for you, but thankfully the dogs are fine and hopefully your heart has stopped racing :flower: I'm sure most of us have had one of those "oh god" moments at some point, I know I have. At least you saw what could happen without it happening :grouphuuug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts