Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we got our little choc lab at 8 weeks old, his name is Rocky and For the last 3 weeks one of us, if not both have been home with him. We have been teaching him where he needs to pee, and he is doing very well with that. He seems comfortable with his create at night, he sleeps in our room and has his routine. Doesn't whine when put in crate at night and only whines when he needs to go outside. Then to let us know at 7am its time to get up ;-)

we feed his food in the crate and try to play with him in his crate, i think because we have focused more on welcoming him, toilet training and playing with him, he does not want to leave us.

3 days from now, both of us are going back to work. Which doesnt mean he is going to be alone, thankfully we have parent in laws 3 mins walk away from us and good friends, but they wont want to come to the house at 8 am all the time. So I say we have a week or so so get him being used to being left alone for say 1 to 2 hours before they come and be with him.

I have started today by saying go to your crate and when he goes in, give him a treat and close the door. I then give him a few more and then just sit next to him for awhile. Sometimes he whines and sometimes it takes 5 mins. But then he starts crying again. We try not to go to him when he does this as we know this will tell him that he can get what he wants.

If we leave the room, he goes louder and bangs on the cage, do we just let him cry it out then come back and reward him when he is quite? Just worried that if we don't do something soon, he will get anxiety when being left alone.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
During the day I waited 'till Tatze was sleepy then put her in the crate. If she made a noise I ignored her, but stayed in the room, and she soon gave up and fell asleep. I made sure I opened the crate door before she woke up. This way she got used to going in the crate during the day. I was soon able to pop her in and leave the room.

But I waited 'till she was older (4 months) before I put her in the crate when not sleepy. Then nylabone keys and a puppy kong did the trick to keep her occupied, but I never left her for more than an hour.

:)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hi, try covering the crate with a blanket and putting the radio on, he needs to get used to treating it as his den. Henry has vet bed, 2 blankets, an old cushion and whatever item of footwear he has stolen from us and we haven't noticed :) (you do need to check that there is nothing they could choke on - take his collar off too)

He quite often takes himself off to his crate for a bit of peace -even when we are all at home. but at night and when we are all out, the door is shut, as is the door to the room and if it is sunny then the curtains are closed too. You could also try a Kong stuffed with goodies. Personally I wouldn't feed him in his crate or play with him in there. Try building up the time left gradually.

·
Registered
478 Posts
When introducing our two to the crate, we built them up gradually over a few weeks, and other than the odd day, the longest they're left is 3 hours.

We started off with the crate being up all the time and we played in there and let them sleep in there (with the door open). Eventually we started leaving the house for a few minutes (peeping through the window very carefully) and built it up from there.

Both of my two love their crates and as soon as the door opens they dive in knowing a treat will be given to them (usually a frozen kong)! I also come home to sleeping dogs and some days have to wake them up when I get in so I can get my snuggles and greeting when I walk through the door!

Although my two have access to a couple of crates in my bedroom at night, the ones downstairs are put up and taken down as necessary now, but they do get excited as soon as we pull the crates out :) we usually put something on the tv for them too. A music channel usually!

I would never have thought of using a crate before getting my two, but I love that I know they're safe when I have to go out, and I know they're comfortable and snuggled up and probably sleeping!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts