Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some advice from your experience.

Sonny has been up during the night with three very runny diarrhea like poops

Yesterday we were at my dads for Boxing Day. He was absolutely fine, just tired because not as much sleep as usual. But after his good naps on the travel crate in a quiet room upstairs he regained his playfulness.

He was sleeping as we were getting a 5minute taxi home, I carried him in the travel crate and when we got home I took him out the back where he done a pee and his last poo for the day which was fine and this was at half 12. Straight back to bed easily but at half 2 he was banging and whining to get outside.. I took him outside and straight away he went but it was very runny. Back to sleep and then at half 4 he done the same struggled to empty as much as possible which it was the sane consistency but less of it.

I came downstairs at half 6 for water and took him outside even though he was happy lying there. But again he done the same though not as much as last time. Each time was less. He is normally up at 7 but I have him here sleeping at 7.25 on the floor on my legs.

I suspect that a) over last two days was too stressful and too much change out of routine perhaps or even though I had him supervised on the lead yesterday b) he has aye something or licked something he was not meant too.

Now here I don't know what to do or what to give him. I've read withhold him feed to let his GIT rest but i don't know. I've also read give rice water or some carrots but again not sure if I should wait it out or take him too the vet.

Thanks for your help on advance!!!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
What's he like in himself? If he's generally fine but just has diarrhoea, I'd keep an eye on him, make sure he's getting enough fluids down him and see what he's like with food, possibly switch him to something easy on his tum like rice with egg/white fish/chicken for a couple of days. But if he's at all lethargic, not just *tired* and isn't a normal bouncy puppy character, I'd be phoning the vet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His last runny was when I took him out at half six. I've taken him back out say half 8 but nothing.

He was due a fed at 8 but haven't given him anything yet. But he's badly touching water so I'm making some chicken stock the now.

To me he isn't his morning self. He seems tired and lethargic but really I've been sitting in the dark letting him settle and trying to rest too. I'll get things going as it was normal and see what he's like.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: He has downed a full bowl of water with chicken stock. Out the back and seems fine tugging the lead, tail wagging and grabbing leaves! Inside, seems fine game to play tug and fetch and run away with his squeaks.

Although is going to sleep if we sit and settle down.

I' haven't fed him yet though...

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
How old is he?

If mine have an upset tummy, I feed them smaller amounts, more often, and add in something like a paste/powder for sore tummies and a bit of water (though mine have a moist food anyway).

If he's a young pup, I'd keep an especially close eye on him and call the vet if you're worried he's dehydrated/lethargic. Hope he's feeling much better soon.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Lot and lots of dogs will have upset routines, systems and tums at this time of year, it will pass when the extra treats and upset diary finishes ;-)

Di

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Is there any chance he has been fed anything you wouldn't give him by someone else in the house?

I ask because Luna's runny tum one year was caused by my ex-FIL giving her almost half a tub of expensive vanilla ice cream that had been left out of the freezer and mostly melted... innocent me thought he was letting her into the garden for a wee but no the closed door into the utility was so he could 'treat her' :roll:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah no chance of anybody giving h anything ... However he did lunge at a chocolate eclair that dropped even though I instantly took it out his mouth the chocolate outer bit was gone.

An update to this ... After his episodes yesterday morning during the night .. He went all day with no bowel movement then at 2.30am thus morning he wanted out and had a runny poo and then at half 6 again that was it as nothinh all day as of yet.

Yesterday I missed out his morning first meal at 8 and then gave a smaller amount of his portion at 12 - 4 - 8 but this morning I read Diane's post pn loose stools, I couldn't find any pro fibre in shops or canned pumpkin so I just gave him 1 egg scrambled with a bit of sugar for breakfast and then half a cup of white rice for lunch, unfortunately I had no chicken left to go with it. At dinner there I gave him another small bit of rice with 1egg scrambled and a wee bit of carrot.

He has periods of being tired, which I think is because he hasn't had much food for energy but when he's still having periods of fun, especially after food. Chasing ball, racing around the room, running away with washing, jumping about to get his stuffed toys etc!!

I feel he's not 100% his usual self but don't see all that much wrong with him so holding off the now and ordered some pro fibre to have on house !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update further . Sonny did a poo yesterday morning when he woke up and then a nice firm poo again this morning so really just getting back in to his regular three a day now .

I've been feeding him smaller amounts than usual and Yesterday plus night before yesterday I was adding 1 tsp of onken natural biopot yougurt to his food or kong. Hope this is okay?

By the way he was 13weeks yesterday and still on the 4 meals a day schedule .. Also this is okay?

Anyway things are now looking a lot better and firmer haha so thanks everyone here for your support and advice . It's built my knowledge and confidence and it's saved me a festive trip to the vet!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys;

Just wanted to update this thread.

After the episodes of diarrhoea the first time round as in my OP and then I changed this food to some egg and then rice + chicken for two days. He went back to solid poo's and i gradually increased his food intake again. However; the runny poo's came back and then went back to solid again. Also; I found him sick a few times in his crate which he had ate back up before I had gotten to him. I did however; catch him one time and the sick was a hard substance.

This was in the space of a week; just after Christmas. So one thing I was pleased I never took the decision to change his food. But I gave in went I seen the sick the first time and took him to the vets; which cost me £60. I wasn't given a diagnosis but merely just 'he has an upset stomach' which I already knew.

He was given two jags and I was given a 30ml of Pro Kolin+ and 2 trays of "SPECIFIC™ CID Digestive Support" which I was to feed him over the next two days.

After that visit to the vet he had no sick or runny poo but ohwell it's over with now.

Thanks for the support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts