Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Need a bit of advice about my Phoebe.

As some of you will remember I had to have my old GSD Dex put to sleep three weeks ago. Phoebe has been with him since the day she came home really....so 5 years.

She's not herself, not really eating normally, sleeping loads, just not her usual happy self.

I though she had earache so sorted them out, she's had a booster and the vet checked her over and thought she was fine.

She's just so sad. Its breaking my heart seeing her like this. The puppy had even dragged the fleece out of his bed so he could lay next to her this morning.

Is she just grieving for Dex or do you think theres something else?

Thanks in advance

Tracey a very sad Phoebe and little Rocco

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
If this has all happened since you lost Dex, then I would say it certainly sounds as though it could be grief. I know not everyone believes dogs grieve but I am sure they do.

Depending on how you feel about such things, there are various things you can take - such as homeopathic ignatia and the Star of Bethlehem flower remedy, which are meant to help with grief. I took these myself when we had to have our little oldie pts a few years ago. I would give them to a dog if I felt they were missing an old friend too. Just a thought :grouphuuug:

G

·
Like Angela, I would also think she is missing her friend and some would call that grieving, even if it isn't strictly in the human sense of the word.

I know when my Lottie died, Tara was all at sea for ages. They have always been together, Tara didn't know life without Lottie and I had never realised just how much she depended on her little bossy friend. Poor Tara moped around, sleeping even more than usual, drooping along on walks and was generally very down in the dumps. The poor girl didn't even know how to ask to go out to the toilet and be let back in again, as Lottie had always organised that bit and she had just followed. When I look back now I feel terrible, as I hadn't even realised Lottie had so much control over everything; where they slept, when they ate, virtually everything and Tara just did as Lottie said. Of course once Tara was alone, it was like her right arm had been cut off and she had to learn how to think for herself.

It does take time and there really isn't a huge amount you can do other than try to jolly them along a bit. I like the sound of giving flower remedies, as Angela suggested, and would have given anything a try for Tara, as at the time it was just so sad to see.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i had it with one of mine - he was totally lost for a few days after i lost my old girl....................... apart from the fact that your dog may be missing your other dog, please bear in mind that it may also be a case of picking up on how you are feeling as well..............

it will improve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone that really does help.

Id had thought that was probably what it was but wasnt sure.

I will defo try the flower remedies...for us both.

Hopefully things will start to get back to normal soon and my little girl will get her zest for lifr back

Tracey Phoebe and Rocco

1 - 5 of 5 Posts