Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, my girlfriend took Coco for a walk today and was approached by a man who asked if we were interested in Studding Coco, she took his number and said we would get back to him. He told her that he had bred labs before and that his bitch was in season now. I've rang him and said i would go and see him and his lab tommorrow, so any advice on the situation would be greatly appreciated. :? :D

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi, i think you should do what you think is right. But don't forget most lab breeders are trying to breed the best dogs they can to try and breed out problems like hip dysplasia and other genetic disorders. Thats why dogs are hip scored, elbow scored and eye tested. Does this man want to register them with the kennel club and if so has your dog got any endorsments on his papers? Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that there is anything wrong with your dog just that sometimes it is best to leave it to the people that are breeding for a purpose. :)

cristina

·
Registered
364 Posts
Strikes me as very odd that someone would express an interest in using a dog for breeding without any knowledge of its pedigree or show record

Cynic that I am, I cant help but feel he sounds like someone who has a Lab bitch who is in season and is looking for a dog to service it in order to get a litter to sell and isnt too particular what dog, as long as its a Lab of the right colour

No reputable breeder would source a stud dog in such a manner

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Don't do it.
Sorry, but there are HUGE warning bells here.
a) If he was a reputable breeder he would have had done a lot of research and had a stud lined up for his bitch months ago, not now she's in season.
b) It's very convenient, did he ask if your dog has had any health tests done? did he ask what lines she is from?
c) Has Coco been used as a stud before or is he a maiden - do you have any experience handling a mating? if not you are risking both your dog and the bitch to injury.
d) Do you know that Coco is good enough to be used as a stud dog? I'm sure he is to you :) , but how does he compare to the breed standard?
e)Are you prepared for the possible changes in his temperament after being used at stud? ie. marking indoors, increased agression towards male dogs.
f) Can you yourself read pedigrees, and do you know whether they will be a good match?
g) Don't forget that puppies are a commodity (in the eyes of the law) and you could (potentially) be sued by any future owner for any problems with the pups - you as well as the bitches owner are morally responsible for any pups.
Sorry, but the person who approached you is the worst sort of backyard breeder, out to make a quick buck from his bitch.
Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Oh, Nuts!
Lablover said everything I was going to say and said it better, too.
Yeah. What she said.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi, sorry to say it but i totally agree with lablover, you should stear clear of this man. There are enough unwanted dogs out there with out this person trying to make a quick buck. I myself have a lab with OCD although they do not know whether it is genetic i would not wish these conditions on any dog. Leave it to the GOOD breeders out there trying to improve the breeds health issues. :D

cristina

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
Again lablover has beaten me to it. There is no point in repeating her words, she has put the points so well.
Please do not do this,it would be so irresponsible.
I do hope you have not already taken your dog

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, thanks to everyone for advice, i've told the bloke that i'm not interested in studding Coco, many thanks again :D 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts