Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all we live in Wraysbury near Windsor and we now have our third Lab the first was trained by Marilyn
Prior in oxfordshire the second by ourselves and this one we are doing ourselves again.
We have a problem with him running off to other dogs - his recall is good to verbal and whistle commands until he sees another dog. He is now 14 months and strong but very biddable so I think we need a good trainer either to use regularly or we would consider residential.
Any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Go back to basics, on lead if needed, ask for a sit and do lots of training around where there are other dogs. I'm afraid to say it, but if he's running off to other dogs then you don't have a good recall, it's a bit of a patchy one. Recalling a dog away from something more interesting is always much more difficult, asking them to come back when there's nothing else interesting and they know you have a pocket full of treats is pretty simple. Have a look at a book by Pippa Mattinson called Total Recall, apparently it's really good for helping with this sort of issue.

·
Registered
Labrador
30 Posts
We've used Total Recall and it is great. We started off doing basic recall in the house, then to the garden to get it really bedded in. If you haven't got a whistle, I would recommend one - Acme are a well known brand and they have ones for Labs and a few other breeds. A whistle sound travels further than your voice can, so great if they run off over a long distance.

What we have trained ourselves is good, but it needs to be stronger for situations you have mentioned. The trick is to make yourself REALLY interesting. Dog needs to think "Hmmm....do I want to go and see that dog over there, or should I go back to my Human because they give me a tasty treat, they play with me and/or they let me chase them which is fun..!

We use a command for close recall; it works well for getting their attention. To train, use your chosen word and when the dog responds (looking at you or coming to you) drop them a treat. Keep this going for a while until you have a good response rate to the word. We use this word whenever something GREAT is going to happen - play with a toy, being fed (meal), a tasty treat, tummy rub or anything else they love. It links the word with a positive event, so don't always use at the end of their walk when it's time to go, as this is stopping the fun :). So now we have that done, as soon as they spot a dog way off, we use the word to grab their attention and immediately treat/ throw a ball/play tug or whatever when they come to you.

The whistle can be used as an audible command to trigger a recall; before we got the Total Recall book, we were already using the whistle at feeding time. When they hear it, they sit waiting and are then fed; it was a reasonably easy transition to link it to the basic recall training from the book. It's our long range recall which is backed up by the short range command and they can be used together. It's a good start :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts