Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a rescue forum and just want her to get some help with her Lab, and not sure if she will come here or not..
But wondering if you could give me some advice for me to give her.
This is her post in my rescue forum.

Code:
I am so concerned about our Lab, Baxter!! I know that I have told you about how he chews on everything, but what I am most concerned about is that fact he swallows everything that he chews on. We live out in the country, and my husband takes him for long walks. He eats pieces of wood, any trash that he can find, etc. He had torn up all of his dog beds, and eaten some of the filler, so we got him a very very thick blanket, but he has chewed pieces off of it, and eaten them!! He gets lots of attention, we are both retired, and are at home a lot. We have bought every type of toy known to man, and have him on an excellent diet, reccomended by the Vet (Science Diet), with a few cooked eggs mixed with oatmeal. I am so frustrated, my concern is that one day he will end up with some kind of blockage!! Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Kittykat
Welcome to the forum
Firstly, labs chew, it's one of the things they do best :shock: :D
Personally, I would muzzle him while out. I know people have a prejudice against muzzles, but I know more dogs muzzled because they are terrible scavangers than any other reason. And safety is paramount. Labs do eat all sorts of non edible things, and they usually pass them, but sometimes they can cause blockages which can be life threatening.
As far as in the home is concerned, remove things he is a likely to chew where possible. You can get sprays (bitter apple), some use tabasco, chilli, and they work some of the time although some dogs like them too :roll: It may be a bit of trial and error to see what works. Only give him virtually indestructible toys :shock: - nylabones are tough, and the toughest kong (these can be filled with food and they have to work out how to get the food out).
You don't say how old the dog is, or how long they have had him. If young he is likely to grow out of it, and if he has only recently come to them, he may not yet be fully settled.
Vets usually recommend Science Diet because they make a commission on it. It's not bad, but I wouldn't call it excellent. Having said that, I think it's highly unlikely the chewing is diet related anyway.
HTH :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awww thank you so much hon for this.. She did not tell me the age of the dog but I will try to get her to come here, but I will let her know what you said... thanks hon, I am greatful for this.

xx
Jess

1 - 3 of 3 Posts