Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ppl :)

well last night my combat class was cancelled (hooray..lol) so i decided to take rosze for a walk instead..

now she has been with us 1month now and im very pleased with how much we have acheived with her in this space of time (apart from the digging that is..lol..)
her previous owner said she knows all the basic commands but id like to know what he was on about...lol..as she new nothing only sit..

anyway i have taught her heel on the lead and off the lead off the lead is only short but she understands the word heel :) so basic commands but importnant ones to me (since we have brandy the mad steam train..lol)
well i walked her down to our local beach on the lead when we got nearer she got a little excited so i was pulling back saying heel and treating her when she done this correctly..i didnt want her to go in the water as tide was in so i kept her on the lead till we walked down to the feilds just over the beach wall..i made her sit to take her lead off and stay then treated her and told her go play....she ran like crazy..lol..i called her back told her to sit and treated her again as she done this straight away (proud mum here:) ) so every 5 mins i call her back to sit n stay and to treat on excellent behaviour..then she ran off to play and i never saw her i ran up to the beach wall screaming and shouting her name no rosze in sight im now panicking like crazy looking all over the place didnt want to move to far from were i was incase she came back..again screaming her name then some woman shouts she ran after another 2 labs pointed me in the direction and off i ran and sure enough there she was rolling around with 2 other labs how on earth she got so far in such a short space of time ill never know.. i didnt know wether to laugh or cry i shouted her when i was in sight but she complety ignored me the gentleman that had the 2 labs kindly stayed were he was so rosze wouldnt go any further i thanked him and he laughed saying she reminded him of when he was training his two he said it took him ages but worth it in the end.. i put rosze back on the lead again.. thanked the gentleman and walked away i was so releived i got her back i didnt shout at her when she was back on the lead i just walked her back home

should i of shouted at her when i got her back??
how do i make her come back to me when other dogs are around ???

its made me really scared now:( and i dont want to let her of the lead when its just me...

if there are no dogs she is excellent on her commands but if she is off lead with me and hubby she will come back to hubby and ignore me

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi claris...

Firstly I'm GLAD that you found rosze..... i know its so scary ...just reading your post made my heart skip a beat....

I really don't think you should shout at her...shez a baby and just loves to play..... wud we not like to be with our freinds....It was indeed nice of the gentkeman to look after rosze 2.... i guess you just otta keep an eye on rozse all the time till she's trained completely....

I know what you must have gone thru...the thought is scaryyyy....and i know how the confidence just shatters to take her out.. but she will learn fast coz she has brandy 2.... matter of patience...

take care Claris..
Vidhya

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Clair,

Sounds to me like you need to practise her recall with other dogs around! (not brandy,etc) :lol: . Perhaps you need to try to get her to come back to you with a long line on her first, so that if she does try to bolt she can't go anywhere. (flexi extension leads are good). Then when you feel more confident try and find an enclosed space where other dogs go so she can't go to far if she desides not to listen. Hopefully with time and persistance you should be able to get a good recall and will have more confidence in her, there is no point shouting at her as she won't understand,( better to reward good behaviour). :D

Cristina xx

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmmm problem is thre is no enclosed places near me its the park or beach with loads of lovely space..lol..

but i might try the extended lead on her ...

i didnt even see the dogs she ran after thats why i panicked as it was just me and her then it was just me :(

it will take me a while before i let her off the lead again that really scared me and i know she will pick up on it so ill try my best on recall again maybe when hubby is with me and if she doesnt come back then i have him there to shout her back...lol..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Clair

Have you tried using a whistle yet? ... its a far more effective way of getting a recall outdoors ... not infallible but far better then trying to make yourself heard at a distance by shouting

Another good tip is to use something as a treat that Rosze really loves, only ever use it as a reward for a good recall. Again, not a miracle cure, but will help concentrate her mind a bit more! :wink:

Cheers
Nigel

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
Hi Clair.
The thing to do is to try to make the area around you as interesting as possible. The area she really wants to be. Have a look at the Retrieving thread on this board and you will see the way my mind works.

Also remember, any command you give which is not obeyed is going to devalue the command. If she is "off with the fairies" and you know she's not going to obey then it MIGHT be better not to give the command. (Obviously in a dangerous situation you must try!)

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks john and nigel ill look at both of these but like i say i am definatly not comfortable with letting her off again for a while while we are on our own anyway..lol.

there is more work to be done with rosze..lol..she better get learning :)

ill probably go for the longer lead while we are out

reason is to much distraction in my house not a bit of quiet anywere even outside could i borrow you for about 2 weeks john..lol.then you could have rosze one on one..lol........give her back fully trained ppleasseeee..lol..

so ill try longer lead later in the week :) thx :):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts