Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a conference call hence distracted and Baymax was playing near my feet.
When the call was over I realized his play consisted munching on the "dust scoop" (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31fjBYJUYAL._AC_SX425_.jpg ) and a sliver of the rather sharp border is nowhere to be found.
I'm therefore afraid he might have swallowed it.
Anything I can do?
Dog seems ok for now, eating, drinking, playing, pooing but if that's in his digestive tract the pilgrimage to the netherend will take hours right?
Scooper out of the way now.
Thanks
PS being plastic I guess it would not show up on an X-Ray

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
Depending on the size of the piece you have two choices, you can use a teaspoonful of baking soda in half a cup of water, or a teaspoonful of mustard in a cup of water to make him sick, and hopefully he will bring it up, or if only small and easy to pass, ignore it and let it pass through in it's own good time. If he was chewing on it then it may not actually be a solid piece, he could well have chewed it into a hundred little crumbs.

If you elect to let it pass naturally, dont expect to see it any time soon! It could well take two/three days or even more.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I guess I'll wait and see.
I also guess that if he started vomiting, or bloody stools, or show pain, or stop eating/drinking it would be wise to seek for a vet (which opens up another problem since the normal vet I've found only works on office hours so heaven forbid something happens at night or on holidays/weekends I'll need to know what to do).

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
the normal vet I've found only works on office hours so heaven forbid something happens at night or on holidays/weekends
It might pay you to ask that question. Things always happen at the wrong time!! My vet practise covers 24 hours per day, but many here in the UK use a locum service. It's possible your practise uses the service of a locum, or that several practises in the area share duties.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
It’s too late to induce vomiting now, you need to do that very soon after the event. I have been in that situation many times...the number of ear rings that have been swallowed, I spend days picking up every pooh and examining it...I won’t go into details, I never found my earrings but I found all sorts of other stuff. One time Freddie grabbed and ate a rosette, complete with safety pin. I got him to the vets within 20 minutes, they induced vomiting with an intravenous emetic....nothing, no trace. Nothing in pooh, not sign of the safety pin, even after an X-ray. Then there’s socks that I didn’t know were missing, appearing in vomit in his crate at random times. They don’t call labradors rubbish bins for nothing.

I wouldn’t worry, if he gets poorly, then call a vet. It’s more likely to have been crunched into bits and will reappear...eventually.

im lucky, my French vet is available 24/7 for emergencies.

Reactions: Mrs H.A
1 - 5 of 5 Posts