Labradors Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im really proud of my Ol'Gundog today :wink:

I went shooting foxes about two hour's ago,( as you probaly know a vixen has been destroying over 410 poult's :evil: )
So little Anne tagged along for the ride as she always does :lol:

Ended up switching gun's and started shooting rabbit's. Ended up with 16. I picked the easy bunnie's but Anne made short work of any that backflipped into cover :wink:

Didnt look too good for getting a foxy, untill i seen her trotting across a field infront of me 8) -a short squeek and a change of gun
sent a large piece of lead her way, Which sorted her out instantly :D
(Of course i didnt get Anne to retreive it) Im not that bad :lol:

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
As a Towny, there's a part of me that feels saddened to see a fox shot, but then I haven't had to face 410 dead poults, so I'm blissfully ignorant about that side of things.

But it sounds like your Ol' Gundog did good work today!

Becs and The Gang

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
U is a proper country lad Lewis!!!

I love the photos of you and Ann together as you so obviously have a fantastic relationship, devoted and respecting to each other.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Seriously good work! What a partnership..... How wonderful to see a clean kill rather than the many dead on the road round here since our packs were banned from certain areas....

Di

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Lewis... we need to feed you, you are too damn skinny!

Good job though! ;)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
As a townie Becs, you are more than welcome to as many foxes as you like. In fact we could reverse the trend of dumping urban foxes in the countryside, and send them down to you!!!!

Like most country types, I like to see a fox out and about, but they do need controlling, one way or another.

Well done Lewis, a good day out. :wink: :wink:

Andrew

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I don`t like the idea of shooting foxes either but its much better than them getting torn apart by hounds, they are so destructive with livestock too, I`m thinking people wouldn`t mind so much if they only killed what they needed to eat.

Lovely picture of you with Annie :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheer's Yall Im glad i went out now :lol:

_Mary_ said:
, they are so destructive with livestock too, I`m thinking people wouldn`t mind so much if they only killed what they needed to eat.
Hit the nail on the head there Mary, If they took say a poult a week- just to survive no one would have a problem with them.
I quite like to see foxes walking about doing their own thing, quite magic acually if they are up close.
But on the shoot's-everyone hate's them because they are aware of the destruction they cause and it's a literally a shoot on site moment.

Anyhoo the local farmer has just cut his barley field, so im out on the pigeon's tomorow with (of course) my little black sidekick at 6 so i shall let you all know how that get's on :wink:

Cheer's

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
monkeyboy said:
As a townie Becs, you are more than welcome to as many foxes as you like. In fact we could reverse the trend of dumping urban foxes in the countryside, and send them down to you!!!!
I do realise that they do a lot of damage and that the numbers have to be kept down, and totally agree that it is far better that they are destroyed cleanly and swiftly and not made to suffer from poisoning or trapping. But seeing one dead that was running through the fields earlier that day still makes me feel a little sad. Maybe I just read too much Joyce Stranger as a child!

Becs and The Gang

(I guess that the cubs would have grown and left the den by now and be self-surficient?)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(I guess that the cubs would have grown and left the den by now and be self-surficient?)
Yeah,
they will be quite large by now. Just the right size to get into the pop-holes 8)

I should be in hot persuit of them on tuesday night :wink:

·
Administrator
21,500 Posts
I hate the idea of killing them! They really are a beautiful creature. But in the wrong place they really are a killing machine.

I was driving through our small wood back in June and there was a pair of very young cubs playing in the ride. I stopped and sat and watched them for a while. Lovely to watch, but by now they will be prefecting their trade. A trade they cannot be allowed to ply in my wood!

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yup, they need controlling and a clean kill is the way to do it. I also like to see them about in the countryside, despite the damage they can do. My wife was out walking the pup, back in the spring in some woodland, to suddenly find the pup was running in a pack of fox cubs, which is not something you really want to happen. 8O She took her camera back to the spot to see if she could find them …..

There he is ……… Can you see him?

Zooming in ……..

Lewis, I will PM you a grid reference. :wink:

John

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" but its much better than them getting torn apart by hounds "

Sits on hands, sits on hands, sits on hands..... ;-) Having seen OUR guns take several bullets to off a fox in the past during a drive, actually I strongly say, in SOME cases both are effective methods. Believe me a pack of hounds take milliseconds too. Its just the phrase 'getting torn apart' that makes folks think its a bad way to go.

getting hit by a car and laying half dead half alive because that person hasn't the guts to run back over it and kill it outright is a bad way to go. A pack of hounds are thirty cars all at the same second.

Di

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice little cub there i must say. Look's like it's standing on it's den?

Di,
I would much rather see a pack of hound's on the heel's of a fox, personally.

Is foxhunting with hound's being repealed in parliment soon? or something to that effect ? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Keep up the good work Lewis.

In the last 12 months or so there have been three foxes shot in our main field. Me being the soft sod, burried them at the back of the field. :roll:

As JohnW and others have said, it's a sad business, they are wonderful creatures to look at but they are very destructive and can wipe out a season's breeding of ducks, hens, etc. overnight and even during the day. It's not very pleasant spending months rearing fowl stock and then finding them dead or missing because of a fox.

Last year a vixen got so brazen she walked through our front garden. 8O
Foxes do keep the pigeons and vermine down a little but hens and ducks are easier to catch. Once the fox knows where the easy prey is they will keep coming back.
Also last year, in a space of a few days, we lost 12 hens and two ducks to a fox and they were taken during the daytime. I saw one of them taken in the field, the fox took no notice of me. :roll:
I don't take on 'rescue' hens to feed the fox. :evil:
Fortunately the chap who dispatched the foxes is very good at his job.

When hunting with dogs was allowed there was the occasional fox but since the ban there has been what seems like an increase in the fox population, it may not be connected, I don't know, but there are more foxes around here than before the ban.
Also, there are many more killed on the local roads these days than used to be.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Hi Lewis, As of 13th August there doesn't appear to be any firm repeal plans according to my updates and the CA website. I think a change of goverment next GE will bring about a formal repeal, and one the Tories have said they will take very seriously.

" Hague said: Mr Hague could not have been clearer about the law or his party's plans for it: “A Conservative government will give Parliament the opportunity to repeal the Hunting Act on a free vote and in government time. This has been our position, and it will remain our position."

So we can just make sure we vote with our 'x's on polling day and there might be a bit more progress. But nothing concrete it seems right now.
Di

·
Registered
847 Posts
Good shooting Lewis!

I got one the other evening. A neighbour told me to try and make a sound like polystyrene being rubbed against glass and the daft thing just came bounding out of the trees, down the field towards the bushes I'd hidden in.

Two double x magnum loads killed him cleanly/instantly (wish I'd put some ear plugs in though!), but like you I'd much rather the hunt controlled them. I would hate to have missed and left him wounded.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes polystyrene work's really well,
I use a Microphone on my phone with all these downloaded call's with rabbit's in distress.
Just sit it in the middle of the field playing, and bob's yer uncle :wink:

Right a question to you all.. My pal was out lamping and lamped a field where two vixen's and 4 cub's were hunting...

I thought foxes were territorial? :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts