Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few questions about my new puppy Anya who is 7 weeks old.

For now we are keeping her inside since it's winter here in Australia and because shes still a pup. We plan to get a kenell outside once it gets warmer and shes a little older. Because we have kept her inside for so long will it be a hard transition? We try let her outside during the day but she cry's at the door and wants back in. She only stays outside if someone is with her.

How do I teach Anya her name? When I call for her she pretty much ignores me.

She is starting to destroy furniture inside the house. When she scratches on the couch I clap and say "ah ah" but she just ignores me. How do I stop her from destroying furniture?

Any suggestions will be great :)

Oh and here is a pic of her :)

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Welcome to LF, Anya looks adorable!! :D

My two spend a fair amount of time outside, in fact they're currently laid out in the morning sunshine in their run. They occasionally bark for attention, if I can ignore it I will, but if it's a nuissance it is difficult. I don't think it should be too difficult to get Anya used to being outside, although it might be a bit lonely for one dog??

There are a fair few stickies and threads with advice for puppy training, recall etc, have a read through, I'm sure they'll help with the recall and chewing problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, shes a cutie :)

Yep only one dog. She seems to want to stay outside only when someone is with her and we cant be with her outside 24/7. She has just started tearing plants apart and no matter how many times you tell her to stop she keeps going.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If it is any consolation Gillie pulls plants apart and we are with him pretty much 24/7! I am just a new owner myself but I think they really like companionship - I assume you are not going to want her to live outside all day with no contact? If she has plenty of association time during the day and the outside run is just her bed then as long as she has a comfy bed and is warm/cool enough I can't see it being too different to crate training.

I am sure people with more experience will be along soon!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hello and welcome. Love the name Anya, beautiful!

I'm quite inexperienced myself, but from what little experience I have, I can say that pups at that age do crave companionship. It's entirely normal for her to want to be with you all the time and follow you everywhere and not want to be outside on her own. As she gets older and more confident, she'll gradually be less inclined to want to glue herself to you. She'll start to venture further away from you when you're out walking her off lead etc. My dog is now quite happy to pootle around in the garden on her own for a bit while I'm busy indoors, but it was a long while before a) she was happy on her own out there and b) I trusted her to not eat my plants and chew my plant pots!

I think if I was kennelling a dog, I'd do it from day 1. I understand that winter in Oz isn't that cold?? I'd maybe pop her in for short bursts and gradually build up the time. Putting lots of nice things in there for her to explore and that are safe for her to chew and investigate. I'd feed her in there, and generally make it a lovely place to be. I'd probably spend a bit of time in the kennel/run with her too. Perhaps having her sleep indoors at night to begin with, but with the aim of her going out to her kennel at night pretty quickly. Hopefully others who do kennel their dogs will be along soon to advise what they do with their pups.

With the chewing - don't worry, it gets better. Just takes ENDLESS repetition until they learn commands like 'leave' 'off' and 'ahahahhhh!' Meantime, try blocking up access to all the exciting things like TV cables, magazine racks, shoe rack etc and then work at distracting her and re-directing to her own toys. Like babies, they explore their new environments by using their teeth. Also, her gums might be a wee bit sore with teething too. Try soaking and knotting up a flannel or tea-towel, then freeze it and give it to her to chew on. Or a frozen carrot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts