Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who knows me will know that I'm very much a novice and certainly not a Trainer. However a friend in a nearby village has asked for my help with his working bred bitch - a gorgeous girl indeed. She is 20 months old and he is keen to take her out shooting this year (will be her first season). So he asked me if I could help with introducing her to pheasants and just give some tips on improving her steadiness in general.

I must say she is a bit of a star and he has done a great job with her so far. He is after nothing flash, just a nice, quiet peg dog. So I said I would see what I could do and if he wants to take it further then he must go and see my Trainer ;-)

So today she got introduced to some poults and as good as gold she was. I watched her doing a bit of retrieving and no problems there, that's for sure. I demonstrated some exercises that they could try out at home. It was all very good fun :)

Here's some photos of her:

and in our smallest and quietest pen:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
barney2007 said:
just a nice, quiet peg dog.
JUST a Peg Dog. 8O 8O

Oh yes Helen, she’s a nice looking little dog – do you know how she’s bred?

Your friend could do worse than read some of the advice I was given when taking Rowan out on the peg for the first time. You may remember this thread ….

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopicp-821580-.html#821580

The advice was excellent, particularly the bit about hanging up the gun and concentrating on your dog. Rowan was a bit younger at 17 months, but the problem is that no amount of training can simulate a days shooting. She looks like a fast little worker and it would be my guess that with some shots, falling birds and the odd spaniel thrown in, she’ll be off. 8O

The good bit is that now that I’m contemplating my second season with Rowan, I have a high level of confidence in her.

Those are great pictures.

John

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
She looks just the ticket! Lucky dog having your wonderful country-life-experiences to benefit from - I'm sure she'll come on a treat.

I think I'm going to have to knock-up some sort of pen for my 'Poults' so I can continue Mouse and Zorro's steadiness and walking-on-tippy-toes around them! 8O :wink:

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EJW said:
and it would be my guess that with some shots, falling birds and the odd spaniel thrown in, she’ll be off. 8O
and my answer is you'd surely be right :wink: I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be able to give them to be honest but then they're under no illusion with regards to that. That link is brilliant though and I will surely pass that on. many thanks

Am hugely embarrased at the reference to 'just a peg dog', hugely :oops: :oops: :oops: . What I meant was that he has given me the impression that she may well stay on a lead and be sent for some easy retrieves this year and then see how it goes. So really it should've been phrased a bit better by me! This is more an exercise of introducing her to pheasants etc.

As to her breeding, I remember that Styperson Grouse is in there, plus some Drakeshead names and Skellorn Rosemary. Will have to think a bit harder to remember the rest :wink:

Can't wait to hear how Rowan goes this year. Very exciting :D

Also can't wait for photos of Bec's pen 8O :lol:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking about it on the peg dog front, do you know what? I am probably everso slightly funny about them. Purely for the reason that when I've seen people bring them along to the shoot, I can't ever remember seeing a good one. Usually they're running in and all over the place. My guess is some people pack them with their Gun, have huge expectations for the day and forget that they haven't actually done a lot of training, if any, and then expect their dog to have the good grace to sit there good as gold while they shoot over it and pheasants are falling round them left, right and centre and then there's all the yelling!

Is that dreadfully unfair of me to say? What are other peoples experiences? is it just that our Shoots (ours and others we go to) are rather informal? I will end by saying that I hope to be proved wrong this season and that I KNOW that not all peg dogs are like this, yours most certainly included John :wink:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
barney2007 said:
when I've seen people bring them along to the shoot, I can't ever remember seeing a good one.
:D :D

I would say that sums things up about right on many, many shoots. :wink: But when you do see a good one, wow!! There is nothing quite like being out shooting with a well behaved hound by your side. :D

John

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
She does look like a nice little girl, and nicely photographed, she would look even nicer without that collar as well!!!

Well my current experience of peg dogs is, I can take this chap anywhere, and we have n't disgraced ourselves thus far

However, he does have a bit of competition this season, as Seal is going to have a few days on the peg as well.

My original peg dog, the beloved Flynn, father of Jud and Charlie, actually curled up and went to sleep on the peg, it was during a bad day, on a bad shoot, he just knew after the first two drives, that nothing was going to happen. What a boy he was, I miss him so much :( :( :(

TBH H, I've seen some bloody awful peg dogs, but then again, I've also seen some bloody awful beating, and picking up dogs. But they tend to get away with it, because their indiscretions often go unnoticed.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, two lovely shots Andrew. Your old Flynn sounds like he was amazing.

monkeyboy said:
TBH H, I've seen some bloody awful peg dogs, but then again, I've also seen some bloody awful beating, and picking up dogs. But they tend to get away with it, because their indiscretions often go unnoticed.

Andrew
That is a very fair point. I don't know about the beaters dogs. They come, they do their job and I am very, very grateful to them BUT what actually goes on in the woods and the cover with their dogs, I couldn't say. I only know of one dog who picks up that is a little, um, unruly. My own dog has from time to time disgraced me but the vast majority of times he makes me very proud. Other people who pick up that I have come across seem to have had very good control. However I can believe that this is not always the case. I think the balance of good beahviour has not in my very, very limited experience been in the Peg Dog's favour, which may have clouded my view a little but I won't let it any more :wink:

Regarding the bitch above, yes I wish they'd ditch the collar too :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I must admit to having a real giggle at this thread. I am also guilty of often saying "just a peg dog" and have similar views to you Helen on what a flipping nuisance "some" of them can be. You can always tell when the corkscrew tether comes out (and yes the collar is on) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But as the lone Picker Up on the shoots I go on I also rely on a couple of really good Peg Dogs that will cover one side of the line while I go and do the other. Without them helping out I would be completely overwhelmed on some of our better drives :D .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts